Hard drive dilemma.

Honorable
Feb 7, 2014
Hi
i'm building a new pc and i want to use the same hard drive from my old pc (it's 10000 rpm ) to use in my new one. I know about the software like acronos but i want to use the same hard drive, i been thinking about an upgrade to an ssd but i want to stay inside my budget. So if any one can let me know of either a piece of software or any process to take please let me know.

If you are going to move the hard drive to the new machine, disconnect it from the old one and hook it up in the new one. Dont need any software except maybe the Windows Disc. Just remember that OEM versions of Windows cannot be moved to a new machine. They are locked to the motherboard of the machine they were installed on. If it is OEM, you will need to either buy a new copy of Windows, or buy a key from Microsoft. And I am not sure they will sell anything older than Windows 8 keys at this point. Windows 7 lost all support back in January.

Honorable
Feb 7, 2014

No i'm sure you can buy a windows 7 professional code for about 170- 180 NZD.

Honorable
Feb 7, 2014

Are you sure there isn't a way to use acronos and put it another drive then back to the original drive once it's been installed and formatted to the new pc?

yatys93

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2014

you will need a new OS, any programs installed on the drive will also need replacing once the OS is reinstalled, although if you still have the installers in your download folder, they will work fine, but might need updates once installed, files should transfer fine as long as you don't get a corrupted file while transferring, but that doesn't happen very often.