hard drive disappears

michael.d.sheehy

Prominent
Oct 18, 2017
I'll try my best to summarize.

I had 2 internal SSDs. Windows (and all my other files) was installed on one SSD (let's call it X). The other one (lets call it Y) was basically empty.

My system became very unstable and eventually would not boot at all. After trying everything, I did a clean install onto Y.

After booting windows from Y, I can see X mounted, but the files are inaccessible (it says permission denied), and also the drive totally disappears (even from disk manager) after about 2 minutes.

I've used Recuva to scan X. It tells me all the files are still there and ready to recover. But I can't recover them, because by the time Recuva finishes scanning, X has totally disappeared.

I've also tried connecting X to a different SATA port with the same result. X shows up in BIOS as normal.

Does anyone know why the drive is unmounting/disappearing? I just want to recover some personal files, then wipe and re-format the drive.

Solution
Whats the make and model# of the ssd in question? Some SSD's drop offline when they begin to rebuild internal tables, have exceeded their wear/tbw ratings, or overheat. Try leaving the pc on for an 30 minutes and see if it comes back online would be my first suggestion.

Another option would be to see if it stays online long enough to check the drives health with the manufacturers' software. You might have to boot with the drive unplugged until you're ready to run it since you only seem to have a few minutes.

popatim

Titan
Whats the make and model# of the ssd in question? Some SSD's drop offline when they begin to rebuild internal tables, have exceeded their wear/tbw ratings, or overheat. Try leaving the pc on for an 30 minutes and see if it comes back online would be my first suggestion.

Another option would be to see if it stays online long enough to check the drives health with the manufacturers' software. You might have to boot with the drive unplugged until you're ready to run it since you only seem to have a few minutes.

Solution