Hard drive dissapeared from Windows 10.

jewie27

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2011
My desktop is 7 years old. Yesterday my secondary storage HDD stopped showing in Windows. I can't access it (D: Drive). I tried swapping SATA ports but it still doesn't show in Disk Mangement or File Explorer. I didn't receive any error messages or warnings. It just stopped showing. I don't know what to do next. I have important video files I need for editing and can't access them.

Asus Maximus IV Extreme Z
Intel I5-2500K
16 GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 Mhz RAM
Corsair Force 3 SSD 128GB
WD Caviar Black 1.5GB (HDD now showing anymore)
Asus Strix GTX 780 6GB

jewie27

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2011
Thanks everyone for your input but I was able to find a solution to get my HDD back up and running. Upon further research on Youtube/Google searches, I found out that over 95% of failed hard drives suffer from PCB electronics failure. Most drives do not suffer mechanical or physical damage and do not require expensive $800+ HDD recovery services. For only $50 with free shipping included, I was able to mail my PCB off my non working drive into a company called PCB Solution in Canada. Within a week they were able to receive my PCB and swap the existing ROM chip onto a new and working "donor" PCB. Their customer service was excellent. They kept me informed and updated through the entire process via email. The following week after that I received the new donor PCB in the mail. I installed it on my dead HDD and plugged the drive back into my system. Upon booting up, Windows immediately recognized the drive. The drive designation was the same, it works perfectly as if it never died at all. I'm so happy with the service they provided. They brought my 7 year old hard drive back to life and saved me over $800 in recovery fees that other companies are charging. I highly recommend PCB Solutions. Check them out at https://www.facebook.com/PCBSolution/