Hard Drive doesn't show up in My Computer

jazperr

Honorable
Jun 2, 2012
Hi,

My Hard drive doesn't show up in My Computer, it shows up in Devices and Printers as storage - it also shows up in Device Manager under USB disk drives... I can't read or write anything to it.

Is my hard drive failing, I really want to fix it and not have to reformat it, please tell me if there is anything I can do.

Many thanks,
Jazperr

This would be a good time to run a full chkdsk against the drive.

chkdsk <drive letter>: /f /r

and also check the SMART status of the drive. No sense putting all your data back on it only to find out the drive is failing.

jazperr

Honorable
Jun 2, 2012
The drive was fine, I just think it got reset or something (as it wasn't showing up), probably something to do with me not safety removing it ... >.>

freestile

Distinguished
May 6, 2009

Good grief, here's the SOLUTION that nobody else seems to know:

Click Start, right-click Computer, and select Manage. This will bring up the Computer Management program. Once there, click Disk Management in the left pane, under Storage.

This will display all of your internal drives. Ignore the top half of the page for now. Scroll down to the bottom half of the page to look for the new drive. The new drive should have a black rather than a blue bar on the top. And it should be described as Unallocated. Right-click that drive, select New Simple Volume, and follow the wizard.

vmseaber

Prominent
Jul 12, 2017
I had a SSD, in an external case, that was only showing up under Control Panel>Devices as Disk 3 & it also showed up as Disk 3 in Disk Management. I did not have an option to reformat it and assign a Disk "Letter", until I first deleted its partition.