Hard Drive Failed/Missing

GriffenW

Commendable
Sep 23, 2016
Hello.
Recently I had a BSOD with the error being driver power state failure. After rebooting my laptop I noticed that I was now unable to access my E and D drives though I can still access my C and F drives. I've looked at disk management and their are blank drives but I am unable to give them a letter and they are all do not have the same space as the previous drives. Any help is much appreciated!

Solution
I'm very glad to hear that, @GriffenW!

Either way, I'd strongly recommend keeping regular backups of your files somewhere off-site of your laptop. This is the surest way to avoid any potential data-loss headaches in the future.

Best of luck with everything! :)
SuperSoph_WD
Welcome to the community, @GriffenW!

Have you had any recent Windows Updates that could be causing this detection issues with your HDDs? I'd also ask you to share a screenshot from Disk Management to see what exactly you mean by having the E & D partitions blank. It might also be a good idea to run the HDD manufacturer's brand-specific diagnostic tool or a third-party alternative to determine the health and SMART status of the drive.

Keep me posted with the details & troubleshooting!
SuperSoph_WD

GriffenW

Commendable
Sep 23, 2016

Hey! After about 3 hours of troubleshooting I decided to take a break and watch some shows. All of a sudden Windows prompted me asking what I wanted to do with all these new drives popping up. Take a look and all my HDDs are back just like they were save for one was renamed to a different letter. This happened two days ago. So far so good I hope! Thanks for replying!

I'm very glad to hear that, @GriffenW!

Either way, I'd strongly recommend keeping regular backups of your files somewhere off-site of your laptop. This is the surest way to avoid any potential data-loss headaches in the future.

Best of luck with everything! :)
SuperSoph_WD

Solution