[SOLVED] Hard drive fails after I put and install Windows on to a SSD.

AdiMalikul

Reputable
Jun 22, 2018
Hello there. So I've been using my WD Black 1TB for 5 years now and it hasn't fail yet until I bought a SSD to speed up my PC. After I plug in the SSD And disconnected the hard drive. I install Windows 10 as normal and install some programs on it. I decided to boot up to the hard drive and it boot as normal, but after I restart my PC and boot into the hard drive, it doesn't want to boot. The bios wasn't detecting the hard drive but, when I disconnect the SSD and plug in the hard drive, the bios shows the hard drive. I tried installing Windows on it but the installation is loading very slowly. I don't have any important file on the hard drive.

What is the culprit here?

Last edited:
Solution
if both SSDs and the optical drive work fine on the SATA controller than your HD is just bad.

there's a possibility it just has corrupt data on it that is causing issues.
and if it still has it's old system partitions located on it, that can cause Windows to load incorrectly(or not at all) when it is plugged in.

SATA data ports can be used as hot swappable.
make sure the HD has it's power cable attached but data cable detached.
after Windows loads up, then plug the SATA data cable into the HD and see if it pops up as a readable device.
if it does, copy anything you need from it and perform a full wipe of the drive deleting all partitions and data and doing a full format.
then restart see if Windows will load with it...
run disk checks on the HD and see if any errors are returned.

there's a possibility that other SATA ports are disabled in the BIOS. so only the main disk will show & be bootable.

also, try doing a full wipe and format of the 1TB HD. then see if it is detected by Windows Disk Management while running Windows from the SSD.

AdiMalikul

Reputable
Jun 22, 2018
run disk checks on the HD and see if any errors are returned.

there's a possibility that other SATA ports are disabled in the BIOS. so only the main disk will show & be bootable.

also, try doing a full wipe and format of the 1TB HD. then see if it is detected by Windows Disk Management while running Windows from the SSD.

Windows refuses to boot on the ssd when I plug in the sata to the hard drive.

AdiMalikul

Reputable
Jun 22, 2018
it sounds like either there is some conflict in the BIOS pertaining to SATA ports or the motherboard is just bad.

post your complete specs here.

Acer Aspire M1930

8GB 2x4 ddr3
Intel Pentium G620 2.6GHZ
Asus GTX 750 1GB
2 Adata SU650 240GB SSD
300 watts PSU

Edit: I disconnected 1 of the ssd and the bios doesn't detect the hard drive either.

Last edited:
so there is only 1 SATA port that works?
or it doesn't matter which port it is used, only 1 device is ever detected?

either way, the first thing I would try is manually updating the motherboard BIOS and all of it's system drivers from the motherboard manufacturer's product support page.

AdiMalikul

Reputable
Jun 22, 2018
so there is only 1 SATA port that works?
or it doesn't matter which port it is used, only 1 device is ever detected?

either way, the first thing I would try is manually updating the motherboard BIOS and all of it's system drivers from the motherboard manufacturer's product support page.

Doesn't matter which ports I use. The motherboard have 4 sata port, 1 and 2 is for the SSD (sata port 1 is used to be my hard drive), 3 is for the optical drive and I connected the hard drive to sata port 4. Also I updated my bios to the latest version.

if both SSDs and the optical drive work fine on the SATA controller than your HD is just bad.

and if it still has it's old system partitions located on it, that can cause Windows to load incorrectly(or not at all) when it is plugged in.

after Windows loads up, then plug the SATA data cable into the HD and see if it pops up as a readable device.
if it does, copy anything you need from it and perform a full wipe of the drive deleting all partitions and data and doing a full format.
then restart see if Windows will load with it properly connected.

Solution

AdiMalikul

Reputable
Jun 22, 2018

then restart see if Windows will load with it properly connected.

Ok, I just find the culprit on why windows refuses or slowly boot. I did the thing you said and I looked at task manager and the hard drive is at 100% all the time. I can't format it because disk management is loading slowly.