Hard drive failure -> Recovery -> Backup -> Restore? Using..

Hi all,

Another query from the baffled, bewildered and frustrated...

I had a major hard drive failure about 1 month ago [original thread
http://groups.google.ie/group/comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage/browse_thread/thread/250dceef691180e7/7a16838ddadd6a67?hl=en#7a16838ddadd6a67

Sent it back to the manufacturer and got a replacement. Working great
now. The only thing is that I used file recovery software to get as
much off the disk before I sent it back. I used Nero backup to burn the
results.

I have tried to restore this backup to the hard disk but am having no
luck. Each dvd of the backup seems to be empty under windows
explorer!!!! There is clearly data on the dvd as I watched it backup
under Nero... but it's not accessible. Restoring using Nero I reach a
point where it asks me to put in disk 1 of the backup - It asks me to
compare the following disk id with the one located in the nb.txt file
located on the root of my backup disk. The disk appears empty - where
is this nb.txt?

I then tried to use previous backups... they all appear empty also -
except the ones I made to cd and not dvd.

Does anyone know what's happening here [apart from ineptitude rearing
its ugly head]

Many thanks

Dave

davidmcma...@yahoo.co.uk wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Another query from the baffled, bewildered and frustrated...
>
> I had a major hard drive failure about 1 month ago [original thread

http://groups.google.ie/group/comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage/browse_thread/thread/250dceef691180e7/7a16838ddadd6a67?hl=en#7a16838ddadd6a67

> Sent it back to the manufacturer and got a replacement. Working great
> now. The only thing is that I used file recovery software to get as
> much off the disk before I sent it back. I used Nero backup to burn
the
> results.
>
> I have tried to restore this backup to the hard disk but am having no
> luck. Each dvd of the backup seems to be empty under windows
> explorer!!!! There is clearly data on the dvd as I watched it backup
> under Nero... but it's not accessible. Restoring using Nero I reach a
> point where it asks me to put in disk 1 of the backup - It asks me to
> compare the following disk id with the one located in the nb.txt file
> located on the root of my backup disk. The disk appears empty - where
> is this nb.txt?
>
> I then tried to use previous backups... they all appear empty also -
> except the ones I made to cd and not dvd.
>
> Does anyone know what's happening here [apart from ineptitude rearing
> its ugly head]
>
> Many thanks
>
> Dave

I found a program called Isobuster - Does anyone have experience of
using this as it would seem to enable one to view data on cds/dvds
which otherwise appear empty/are unreadable [except for those that
ACTUALLY are empty!].

Your thoughts would be appreciated

Dave