Info hard drive failure

Jun 13, 2019
Hello I have an inspiron 15 5567 the hard drive was caught in a repair loop and said short test failed now unit tries to turn on but shuts down after 8 seconds...... I am ordering a new hard drive .......and after installing it do I use a windows 10 startup disk and go to dell website to reinstall my original configuration??????? and what can I do to get the info off of the failed hard drive and install on new one....or can someone give me a detailed repair process......thanks

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Clean install Windows 10 using a media creation tool.

What original configuration are you referring to exactly?
If the HDD has failed, software etc will need to be reinstalled after the clean install on a new HDD.

Depends on the nature of the failure to a degree - you can use HD Sentinel or CrystalDiskInfo to view the SMART attributes of the drive.

Following this you can use an elevated CHKDSK and SFC/ SCANNOW command to try and rectify any software or logical issues on the drive itself.
If you need to recover data, using Recuva from Piriform is probably the easier and most intuitive software kit that is free for personal use.

Jun 13, 2019
So I install new HD the get an installation disk windows 10 then go to dell to enter my laptop code and download my original setup....from that point I need a how to in order to get info off failed hd

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
So I install new HD the get an installation disk windows 10 then go to dell to enter my laptop code and download my original setup....from that point I need a how to in order to get info off failed hd

If the hard drive can be read, you either install it along with the new hard drive and get things directly using the basic file management tools in Windows or you put it in a hard drive enclosure and connect it by USB. If the hard drive can be physically read but Windows can't get the data off of it, tools like EaseUs and Recuva can frequently recover this data.

If the hard drive can't be physically read by Windows? Then your options to get your files come down to either paying a specialized lab to recover the data (a quality firm will easily put you into four-figure territory unless it's a simple PCB fix) or accepting that the data are lost forever.

Reactions: PC Tailor
Jun 13, 2019
Talked to dell they said take out bbl and release any residual power ....did that now when I go to start push power button lights comebon fan starts nothing on screen shuts off after 8 seconds......I guess the HD is done going to buy a ssd drive.....have to figure out how to process to get back online to go to dell website to reinstall the stuff that came on the laptop once I get to that point I need to try and get the stuff off of the bad hd