[SOLVED] Hard Drive Failure?

MaxArk

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2012
I plug in my external hard drive (actually an internal harddrive being used as external) - WD Blue 4TB into my PC's USB port. Windows identifies it recognizes a mass storage device has been plugged in (tells me it can run faster by plugging into a faster USB port), and my anti-virus recognizes it as a connected external storage device. However, it doesn't appear in explorer. I am using Windows 7 64bit.

I do into the disk management utility, and it does show up as "Disk 1, Removeable (E:)" but "No Media". I can't do anything with it but change the drive letter. Properties:Volumes indicates 0MB capacity, 0MB Unallocated space and of course 0MB Reserved Space.

Fair to say this drive is dead?

Solution
I do into the disk management utility, and it does show up as "Disk 1, Removeable (E: )" but "No Media".
I can't do anything with it but change the drive letter. Properties:Volumes indicates 0MB capacity, 0MB Unallocated space and of course 0MB Reserved Space.
It's better to just show a screenshot than writing loads of text.
It's either external HDD enclosure dead or drive itself.
Remove HDD from enclosure and connect directly to pc with sata cables and test it.
I do into the disk management utility, and it does show up as "Disk 1, Removeable (E: )" but "No Media".
I can't do anything with it but change the drive letter. Properties:Volumes indicates 0MB capacity, 0MB Unallocated space and of course 0MB Reserved Space.
It's better to just show a screenshot than writing loads of text.
It's either external HDD enclosure dead or drive itself.
Remove HDD from enclosure and connect directly to pc with sata cables and test it.

Solution