Hard drive faulty?

Catastrove

Commendable
Jul 14, 2016
Hey everyone. So I've had my PC for around 2 years now. I built it back in November 2014. I notice my entire computer freezing randomly at anytime. I'm thinking that it's a hard drive problem? I honestly do not know. It won't freeze at all while I'm playing a video game. For example, I launch google chrome (or Firefox, edge, etc) and sometimes it freezes and says chrome is unresponsive and my whole computer freezes and I cannot open any programs. I can move my mouse though. This has been happening ever since I built the computer and it is very frustrating. Any help would be amazing! This freezing lasts approximately 1-2 min and then it goes back to normal.

Hi there Catastrove,

As you thing that there's something wrong with you drive, you should just back up the important data stored on it.
After that, you can test it with some of these: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/282651-32-best-diagnostic-testing-utility
It would be nice if you can provide a screenshot of the SMART report.
Another thing you can do is to attach the drive with different cables(SATA & power ones) to another SATA port. Is it attached to port 0? That way, you will rule out a possible connection related cause.

What is your OS? You can observe Resource Monitor when your system starts to get laggy and see if there is high usage of some of the components(disk, RAM, etc).

If the issue persists after all these, then I would say that similar freezes could be caused by quite a few things.
- You may need to perform a clean OS install.
- Update your MOBO's drivers.
- Test your RAM with a third party tool.

Cheers,
D_Know_WD :)

Catastrove

Commendable
Jul 14, 2016

Hi. So I downloaded Crystaldisk and here is a link to my screenshot.
rAwAhF1

In the screenshot my computer is in the process of freezing. I am not sure which port it is attached to. How do i check? I'm sorry, I am not the best with computers. My current OS on this computer is Windows 10. My computer also froze when I had windows 8.1 back before Windows 10 came out. So I am not sure it's an OS problem.

Catastrove

Commendable
Jul 14, 2016

I checked on my processes and here is a screenshot when my computer freezes. It shows 100% disk space usage. http://imgur.com/mn31yDW

Catastrove

Commendable
Jul 14, 2016

So I had a friend come over and he just switched my port to port 0. I also ran those two tests (Short and extended) and it said everything was fine. Unfortunately, my computer is still freezing.