[SOLVED] Hard drive files not being used

aocon62

Prominent
Sep 19, 2018
So, I just installed a M.2 ssd, and booted it up. My ssd works fine, so does my boot drive, but my hard drive does not work. The drive is picked up, and i can access all the files and use them. Windows, for what ever reason, can't find them. When steam is opened, all games are 'Uninstalled', and the same is for the rest of my games. It's probably something really basic, but i don't know what to do. Any help would be appreciated
Storage:
Western digital SSD
Seagate Hard drive(The problem drive)
Corsair M.2 SDD
Windows 10 OS

Last edited:
Solution
So, I just installed a M.2 ssd, and booted it up. My ssd works fine, so does my boot drive, but my hard drive does not work. The drive is picked up, and i can access all the files and use them. Windows, for what ever reason, can't find them. When steam is opened, all games are 'Uninstalled', and the same is for the rest of my games. It's probably something really basic, but i don't know what to do. Any help would be appreciated
Storage:
Western digital SSD
Corsair M.2 SDD
Windows 10 OS
Basically, you just need to tell the new Steam client where these games are.

Steam games location
In the steam client:
Steam
Settings

Ralston18

Titan
3 drives: a M.2, a SSD, and a HDD with the SSD being the boot drive(?) - verify.

Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS.

Then check the User Guide/Manual for your computer's motherboard.

Confirm that the M.2 ssd is not pre-empting the SATA ports used/needed by the HDD.

Quick Reference link:

https://forums.anandtech.com/thread...on-a-mobo-it-disables-the-sata-ports.2532769/

But again, you will need to refer to your computer's motherboard for the specifics.

aocon62

Prominent
Sep 19, 2018
Sorry about that. The specs are updated. I will clarify the issue:
My desktop shortcuts are not working. The ones stored on my Western digital drive work fine, I.E steam launcher, google chrome, etc. But the ones on my HDD can't be used. It simply says, "searching for shortcut", then, "the shortcut has either been changed or moved, the shortcut will no longer work properly". It does the same with steam games, simply says they are uninstalled.
Mind you, I can still use my HDD files, but i just need to execute the exe's or what ever i need myself. It's just a inconvenience

popatim

Titan
The Shortcuts aren't on the HDD itself, they are on whichever drive was booted from and only point to a specific drive & location within it.

It sounds like your drives have been assigned new letters and you either need to edit your shortcuts to reflect the new drive letter or to delete them and make new shortcuts.
Another possible solution, would be to move the drive that has taken the usual HDD letter to another letter and then move the HDD to the correct drive letter.

Last edited:

USAFRet

Titan
Storage:
Western digital SSD
Corsair M.2 SDD
Windows 10 OS
Basically, you just need to tell the new Steam client where these games are.

Steam games location
In the steam client:
Steam
Settings
Downloads
Steam Library Folders
Add library folder
q24sFfe.png

Solution