Hard drive found in bios but not in windows

tylerd120

Prominent
Mar 25, 2018
trying to get data off an old hard drive, not willing to spend a grand for an actual expert, and i'm unsure what steps to take now. I put the drive in the system and it span up, and was found in the bios, but using the diskpart cmd and disk management utility, it wont show up. It also seems to give a slightly worrying audible "ba-duh" sound every 3 seconds. Fairly quiet sound, like the disk head cant figure out where it is. Im thinking its either its a firmware bug, and i can buy an adapter and some software to fix it, ro a mechanical failure, and I cant really do anything. System disk and target disk are both mbr. disk is a seagate st31000528as 7200.12 1tb hard drive. Thanks to anyone who can help.

tylerd120

Prominent
Mar 25, 2018
I went ahead and opened the hard drive, ( I know it's a bad idea) I believe the head was stuck, so I tried to unstick it, and it ended up scratching the platter. The head assembly (as though it still mattered) still doesn't move freely, so I would probably need a new read/write head assembly to even have a chance. Thanks for the help though.