Hard drive from Newegg not in box?

jdbaker82

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2009
Just came in bubble wrap with no manual or cables is this normal?

Western Digital Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive - OEM

Yes, that is normal for an OEM drive.

It is the Retail package (if available) that will have a product box, probably a manual, mounting screws, and maybe even a SATA cable. Most mobos come with enough cables, and cases should come with screws, so that all those things aren't needed.

Yes, that's why the OEM drives are cheaper. www.zipzoomfly.com does a better job packaging their OEM drives. It's still just the bare drive, but they package the drive in a little foam box that protects it much better than the bubble wrap. Something to keep in mind when you order hard drives. I've had a few drives come DOA from Newegg, but never from zipzoomfly. I attribute it to superior packaging.

Prescott_666

Distinguished
May 13, 2009
The last term in the name of the drive says it all - OEM. With the OEM pack you get the drive and nothing else.

With a Retail pack you would have gotten more. Exactly what you would have gotten varies but I don't think it includes a cable. You get maybe a CD with disk management software and drivers for system whose BIOS can't recognize a drive this large. And maybe extra jumpers for setting Master/Slave/etc