Hard Drive goes 'brrr' Sometimes Reboots Computer

I built a system, detailed below, that is having this problem.
One of the two hard drives periodically makes a whirrr-clickclick
sound, not on any particular schedule. I THINK it is the IBM; hard to
tell, the event is over so fast.
Once in awhile, maybe every two days or so, during this sound, the
entire computer will just slam off instantly, and goes into a reboot.
This is bad.
Any thoughts on this? I don't know where to begin on this.
Everything is new, or at least never-before-used.

THANKS

System Specs:

AOpen AK79D-1394 mobo
Enermax 430-watt PS
2 case fans, quiet type
Lian-Li Aluminum midtower case, lots of room. Flat IDE cables.
Hard Drive 1 -40GB WDC WD400BB-00FRA0
Hard Drive 2 -120Gb IBM IC35L120AVVA07-0 (according to IBM, not a
"DeathStar")

Pioneer A07 DVD burner
Lite-On DVD/CD Reader
Lian-Li optional 6-in-1 front panel memory card reader

AMD AthlonXP 2500 Mobile, clocked as follows:
FSB: 195MHz, Multiplier - 11 Resultant Speed: 2.145GHz
ThermalTake copper cooler with 80mm 2700rpm fan
CPU temp 41C, Ambient 39C (typically)
1 Gb PMI 2-3-3-6 memory PC3200 DDR400 (2 x 512Mb)
OS: Win XP Pro patched, updated, SP1'ed
Pagefile: 768Mb on 1st drive, 768Mb on 2nd drive

"Jeff Jourard" <jjourard@jps.net> wrote in message
> I built a system, detailed below, that is having this problem.
> One of the two hard drives periodically makes a whirrr-clickclick
> sound, not on any particular schedule. I THINK it is the IBM; hard to
> tell, the event is over so fast.
> Once in awhile, maybe every two days or so, during this sound, the
> entire computer will just slam off instantly, and goes into a reboot.
> This is bad.
> Any thoughts on this? I don't know where to begin on this.
> Everything is new, or at least never-before-used.
>
> THANKS
>
> System Specs:
>
> AOpen AK79D-1394 mobo
> Enermax 430-watt PS
> 2 case fans, quiet type
> Lian-Li Aluminum midtower case, lots of room. Flat IDE cables.
> Hard Drive 1 -40GB WDC WD400BB-00FRA0
> Hard Drive 2 -120Gb IBM IC35L120AVVA07-0 (according to IBM, not a
> "DeathStar")
>
> Pioneer A07 DVD burner
> Lite-On DVD/CD Reader
> Lian-Li optional 6-in-1 front panel memory card reader
>
> AMD AthlonXP 2500 Mobile, clocked as follows:
> FSB: 195MHz, Multiplier - 11 Resultant Speed: 2.145GHz
> ThermalTake copper cooler with 80mm 2700rpm fan
> CPU temp 41C, Ambient 39C (typically)
> 1 Gb PMI 2-3-3-6 memory PC3200 DDR400 (2 x 512Mb)
> OS: Win XP Pro patched, updated, SP1'ed
> Pagefile: 768Mb on 1st drive, 768Mb on 2nd drive

Try the manufacturers website for diagnostic software.

Another option is the data cable. I just had this happen to a cable, even
though it was installed and never touched.

the_gnome

"Jeff Jourard" <jjourard@jps.net> wrote in message
> I built a system, detailed below, that is having this problem.
> One of the two hard drives periodically makes a whirrr-clickclick
> sound, not on any particular schedule. I THINK it is the IBM; hard to
> tell, the event is over so fast.
> Once in awhile, maybe every two days or so, during this sound, the
> entire computer will just slam off instantly, and goes into a reboot.
> This is bad.
> Any thoughts on this? I don't know where to begin on this.
> Everything is new, or at least never-before-used.

That sounds like an intermittent power supply problem. I think the hard
drive is making noise because it is starved for power. A computer suddenly
turning off and rebooting sounds to me like the CPU might be starved for
power. Both symptoms point at a bad power supply. Another possibility is
an intermittent short. Check your extra connectors on the power supply to
make sure they aren't contacting the case or something else. -Dave

Jeff Jourard wrote:

> I built a system, detailed below, that is having this problem.
> One of the two hard drives periodically makes a whirrr-clickclick
> sound, not on any particular schedule. I THINK it is the IBM; hard to
> tell, the event is over so fast.
> Once in awhile, maybe every two days or so, during this sound, the
> entire computer will just slam off instantly, and goes into a reboot.
> This is bad.
> Any thoughts on this? I don't know where to begin on this.
> Everything is new, or at least never-before-used.

Well, if you left it configured as it came, and most people do, XP is set
to reboot on a critical error (this, btw, is what causes most of those "it
reboots when I try to shutdown" problems: some driver error occurs during
the shutdown and so the XP 'corrective' action kicks in and reboots).

Might be the disk; might not. That sound IS common for a disk problem as it
tries to find things it can't find and slaps the heads around in the
process, however.

Anyway, check the system event logs (admin tools) for the cause.