[SOLVED] Hard drive has 65000 power on hours after only 11 months of usage?

Sep 17, 2021
So I'm not knowledgeable on computer hardwares, but is there a situation where the "power on hours" would increase this dramatically?

Also, could anyone look into this screenshot and tell me anything else unusual about this HDD? It pretty much broke within 24 hours of having issues like extremely slow read/write speed.

Disk info: View: https://imgur.com/T069cwS

Solution
The raw value of the Power On Time attribute could be expressed in units of 0.1 hours rather than 1.0 hours. This would make the actual time 6532.2 hours, which is 8.94 months.

The normalised value has lost 9 points (100 -> 91), so it could be that it loses 1 point for each month of usage. The expected life would then be 100 months, or 8.3 years.

My hypothesis could easily be tested by monitoring the change in the count over a period of 1 hour.
So I'm not knowledgeable on computer hardwares, but is there a situation where the "power on hours" would increase this dramatically?

Also, could anyone look into this screenshot and tell me anything else unusual about this HDD? It pretty much broke within 24 hours of having issues like extremely slow read/write speed.

The hdd is iffy replace asap.
How many hours did the hdd have when it was installed?

HDD is mostly dead,replace as soon as possible or you are running the risk to loose everything.

The raw value of the Power On Time attribute could be expressed in units of 0.1 hours rather than 1.0 hours. This would make the actual time 6532.2 hours, which is 8.94 months.

The normalised value has lost 9 points (100 -> 91), so it could be that it loses 1 point for each month of usage. The expected life would then be 100 months, or 8.3 years.

My hypothesis could easily be tested by monitoring the change in the count over a period of 1 hour.

Solution
Sep 17, 2021

Hovering over the number tells me that it's exactly what it looks like, which is 7 years and 167 days. It's looking more and more likely that I was sold a used HDD. The number has seemed to increase in increments of 1 hour since I last checked this topic so I'm quite baffled by the whole thing.

Also, does the "power on count" number seem a little low if it's been used for a such a long time?

The hdd is iffy replace asap.
How many hours did the hdd have when it was installed?

I did not check since it was the first time I built a PC.

Last edited:

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
You may find a date of manufacture on the label. Also the exact model may help. As may your original invoice.

That will just assuage curiosity, however. When a hard drive is failing, all you can really do is send it off to recycling, swap in another hard drive, and restore data from your backup(s).