hard drive help

Mar 2, 2018
Hi.

I have done summet really daft and forgotton which hardrive is my main one and which is my backup one xD.. fml. I was wondering, just to put my mind at ease whilst i wait for the rest of my components to come for my new build.. If i plug the HD wich I think is the main one with windows still installed, will it still bring up the windows loading screen? .. I know it wont boot fully but so long as I see that loading screen I know for sure which is the right one..

I can't remember also if on windows setup if there is a way of telling there, with both the HDs plugged in. I cant remember if it shows what is installed on each disk.. ugh I hate this.

psh anyway anything to put my mind at rest so i can sleep.. I really dont want to format my backup one with all the years of work on there xD.

What version of Windows do you have installed on that hard drive? If it is Windows 7 or newer it should actually be able to boot fully. Technically you could do that, uninstall the old drivers, and install the new ones and have it work just fine. That just usually ends up with some performance issue and it can have stability issues, so it's just general best to install Windows over again.

Mar 2, 2018
Hiya again.

Thanks for the replies. Yes its Windows 10 I no longer have the old PC but im hoping it will at least get to the windows loading screen so that I can see it is the one with Windows on. Im hell bent on it been the seagate one and not the Hitachi just not 100%.

The worse thing is I know how much is space has been taken up on the backup drive but due to a recent install the windows drive space is now identical xD.