[SOLVED] Hard Drive I/O error

Aug 26, 2021
Hey All

So I've got a Western Digital 10TB Black. Its never been used before, never been setup, nothing. When I try to Initialize it to properly partition it, It says the it was unable to perform the Action due to an I/O Error. Ive done my own research of course, tried different sata ports, different sata cables, I've even got a 2 TB western Digital Blue that works just fine, and I've tried swapping their cables and ports and the 2TB still works just fine, My device manager says the device is working properly, But the drive doesn't show up in motherboard BIOS. Because of this I've even gone as far as to update my Motherboard bios, and still nothin, wont initialize dude to an I/O error. Yall got any other ideas, or is it time to contact WD and get a replacement?

Thanks in Advance

popatim

Titan
The drive likely conforms to the newer Sata 3.3 spec in which the 3.3v lines are not used and have been repurposed as a drive reset.
You can either mask off the 3.3v pins on the hdd (top and bottom), cut the 3.3v wiring near the connector (usually orange), or buy an extension that doesn't bring the line to the hdd

I had the same issue with my first 8tb drive about 3 yrs ago.

Reactions: mundial
Solution
Aug 26, 2021
The drive likely conforms to the newer Sata 3.3 spec in which the 3.3v lines are not used and have been repurposed as a drive reset.
You can either mask off the 3.3v pins on the hdd (top and bottom), cut the 3.3v wiring near the connector (usually orange), or buy an extension that doesn't bring the line to the hdd

I had the same issue with my first 8tb drive about 3 yrs ago.
Thanks for the response,
I’m not sure I completely understand the 3.3v spec that your talking about and how it relates to my issue, could you please explain further? I’ll probably just by the extender off Amazon to give it a try anyway because it’s pretty cheap but I’d just like to understand a bit more about it
Thanks!

Aug 26, 2021
Thanks for the response,
I’m not sure I completely understand the 3.3v spec that your talking about and how it relates to my issue, could you please explain further? I’ll probably just by the extender off Amazon to give it a try anyway because it’s pretty cheap but I’d just like to understand a bit more about it
Thanks!
Thanks for the response,
Thanks!
Wait hold on I think I understand, so that 3.3v pin has been converted into a power off switch sort of thing, instead of just being connected to two of the other pins to provide power too the disk, and my psu sata cables are giving a signal to that pin which is telling the disk it should power off, which would explain why my bios doesn’t see it and windows cant input/output with it because the drive just isn’t on, and by blocking/removing connection the that link it will stop being given a signal to turn itself off. It could be the issue and I bet my 2tb works just fine because it prolly doesn’t have that spec, and he psu on my other pc has the spec in the Sata cables, which is why it’ll format just fine on my other pc. I think I understand now?