Hard drive "incorrect function error"

Apr 22, 2018
I bought a used Hard disk for my desktop, i plugged in the sata and power and it shows in my disk management section. But when i try to initialise it says "incorrect function". PS: it's used and i think the problem is of some partition. Please help me .

Solution
Start diskpart from a command line, run "List disk" command. Note the drive number of this new disk, do a "select disk X" command with that number in place of X. Then run a "clean" command. That will wipe all the partitions off the disk.

Start Disk Manager, you should see the disk there blank, right-click on it, and create a new partition, format that partition. If it fails this, the disk is likely bad.
Start diskpart from a command line, run "List disk" command. Note the drive number of this new disk, do a "select disk X" command with that number in place of X. Then run a "clean" command. That will wipe all the partitions off the disk.

Start Disk Manager, you should see the disk there blank, right-click on it, and create a new partition, format that partition. If it fails this, the disk is likely bad.

Solution

It won't hurt, I think it's at least 50% the drive is bad. Used disk without testing is as bad as getting a video card without testing.