Question Hard drive is disconnected and reconnected each morning during a part of antivirus analysis, it has bad sectors

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 18, 2019
Hello,

I have a western digital hard drive, of 500 Go, since five years. It's my secondary drive.
Since two months these events happens :

Around 3'clock or 4'clock in the morning, anti-virus Kaspersky checks the whole computer.
Once during this checking, a message comes : "Intel Rapid Storage Technology : disk DR1 : Removed",
and for then minutes, if I attempt to do any use that would lead to that disk, at best the explorer show a disk letter without content, at worst the whole computer freeze.
But it only freeze for a while, and after then minutes, it resumes by sending the notification "Intel Rapid Storage Technology : disk DR1 : Detected", and few seconds after works again for the whole day.

I discovered that it had bad sectors : the time when it hangs show bad sectors notifications on the event logger.
I asked Windows 7 to repair it through an automated CHKDSK at restart, the one that takes quite a day. He did, and discovered 7 bad sectors for 24 KB.
But the bad sectors weren't corrected, or not all detected... Days after, and this morning, my computer still freezes during ten minutes. I saw 30 notifications of bad sectors today on the event logger.
But what can I do if CHKDSK doesn't really correct bad sectors (=> mark them at bad) or if Kaspersky still wants to read them ?

It doesn't seems (to me !) that my hard-drive is broken, even if it is old. The time when the trouble occurs is always around the same hour.
I think there is a software issue, but I don't understand what it can be.

Regards

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
If you have confirmed that your HDD has bad sectors, and this is increasing. It's time to backup get a new HDD.
Bad sectors = Damaged HDD (physical or logical). A CHKDSK doesn't necessarily FIX bad sectors, more just puts them out of action if it finds a problem with it. And once a HDD starts developing bad sectors, you can't really consider the storage device safe, as it will likely only deteriorate.

Download CrystalDiskInfo - and see what the SMART status of your HDD is, but based on briefly reading your post, I think it's time to get a new one.

Status
Not open for further replies.