Hard drive is making my pc stop responding?

TigerIsMaD

Reputable
Feb 10, 2016
When my pc stops responding my hard drive is at 100% usage, it becomes impossible to play online games and even browsing. While im writing this my browser stopped responding 3 times. My pc is good, i checked the rams they are working fine. It's an i5 6500, 8GB DDR4 2400MHz and a GTX 960. I already used both CCleaner and Malwarebytes. It is an old hard drive, but its a 3,5" Toshiba 7200RPM.

Ralston18

Titan
Any error messages or warnings?

Use the Event Viewer logs to look for errors, warnings, or other informational entries that occur just before or at the time of the browser stopping.

You can also use Task Manager, Performance Manager, and the Resource Manager to determine what process or service is taking all off the HDD usage.

Also run any Toshiba HDD diagnostic software. That may reveal something as well.

Suggest that you backup your data as soon as possible if you have not already done so.

Hi there TigerIsMaD,

As Ralston18 suggested, as you are facing some HDD related issues, you need to back up the data stored on the drive.

What is your OS? Depending on that, you can see if this is caused by some OS background services.
Sometimes, high disk usage could be caused by a failing drive. You need to test the drive and see if there is something wrong with the SMART report.

It may be a good idea to attach the drive with different cables(SATA & power ones) to another SATA port as well.

Cheers,
D_Know_WD :)