Question Hard Drive is Making PC Unusable

Mar 18, 2023
I was playing GTA V with my friends and then suddenly the game freezes and crashes. I thought this was unusual but whatever, it happens. However, I noticed a weird noise coming from my PC so I shut it down to investigate.

Turns out the noise was coming from my internal hard drive (2TB Seagate BarraCuda). This is also where the game is installed. Also, when trying to boot, it would just be stuck on the loading screen.

After disconnecting the hard drive, I was able to boot my PC just fine. I also tried going into my BIOS settings and enabling hot plugging. But even with that, when I would plug in the hard drive, my already booted PC would freeze and I wouldn't be able to click on anything. As soon as I unplug the hard drive, my PC would unfreeze and I would be able to continue using it.

So I'm a little lost and I don't know what to do. Please help.

A video of the noise can be heard here: https://www.youtube.com/shorts/Cz8lMZkVqp8

Mar 18, 2023
4 months old, free warranty replacement.

Your data?
Is the drive still readable in any fashion?

If not, you may be out of luck.
But this is specifically what backups are for.

I can't really tell if the data is readable or not, whenever I plug it back into my system it freezes my whole computer but when I unplug it, it unfreezes. But I found this thing on amazon, would it work to get the data back? https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sabrent-Ex...ocphy=1007325&hvtargid=pla-365069372813&psc=1

USAFRet

Titan
I can't really tell if the data is readable or not, whenever I plug it back into my system it freezes my whole computer but when I unplug it, it unfreezes. But I found this thing on amazon, would it work to get the data back? https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sabrent-Ex...ocphy=1007325&hvtargid=pla-365069372813&psc=1
That may work, only because you can have the system running, and then connect this problematic drive.

But if the actual drive is faulty, as it seems, then nothing will really work.

Was there any critical life changing data on this drive?

Mar 18, 2023
That may work, only because you can have the system running, and then connect this problematic drive.

But if the actual drive is faulty, as it seems, then nothing will really work.

Was there any critical life changing data on this drive?
Yes. I'm an artist and have projects on there that isn't backed up on a cloud. Unfortunately.

USAFRet

Titan
Yes. I'm an artist and have projects on there that isn't backed up on a cloud. Unfortunately.
Yes, that is very unfortunate.

But it really looks like this drive had died.

For future reference, a dead drive should NEVER involve loss of data.
At most, it is "Oh bother, I need a new drive"
Your data should be backed up always.

3-2-1
3 copies, on at least 2 devices, 1 offsite or otherwise inaccessible.

Mar 18, 2023
Yes, that is very unfortunate.

But it really looks like this drive had died.

For future reference, a dead drive should NEVER involve loss of data.
At most, it is "Oh bother, I need a new drive"
Your data should be backed up always.

3-2-1
3 copies, on at least 2 devices, 1 offsite or otherwise inaccessible.
Thanks for the help. I'll try that hard drive dock and really hope the data is readable.