[SOLVED] Hard drive issues?

jhutch2012

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2012
I’m trying to help my in-law who’s storage drive went bad(5 year old 1tb WD blue) or so it seemed. now he has a WD ssd with windows 10 installed on it. His new hard drive I installed is a WD 1tb blue used just for game storage same as before. He’s only installed steam and rust into the new drive and it’s back to doing what it did before with the so called bad hard drive. At boot up it gets to the windows logo with the black screen behind it and just stalls out. If you reboot without the secondary drive plugged in it will boot right up. Any suggestions?

Solution
Try replacing the SATA data cable to that drive OR plugging that drive into a DIFFERENT SATA header on the motherboard. Or both.

If this is a laptop, then obviously that's not an option and in that case you are likely down to a problem with the storage controller on the motherboard. Could also be the same with the a desktop.

Knowing some hardware specs would be helpful in terms of what kind of system this is, motherboard model number, etc.
Try replacing the SATA data cable to that drive OR plugging that drive into a DIFFERENT SATA header on the motherboard. Or both.

If this is a laptop, then obviously that's not an option and in that case you are likely down to a problem with the storage controller on the motherboard. Could also be the same with the a desktop.

Knowing some hardware specs would be helpful in terms of what kind of system this is, motherboard model number, etc.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS