Question Hard Drive keeps disconnecting

Munberri

Prominent
May 19, 2019
Hi everyone! Something's been bugging me for like two weeks and I just have to get it fixed.
I installed Windows 10 on a new 240GB SSD, and I have a 1TB Internal HDD (Seagate) that's been with me for like 2-3 years now.
Every once in a while (sometimes after 20 minutes and sometimes after a couple hours) I just hear it make a weird noise, like it spins really fast for one second, and then it disconnects from Windows and BIOS. Only after I shut the computer down, wait a few seconds and turn it back on again, it connects again.

I checked my power plan in Windows and the hard drive is set to never sleep, so I really have no idea what to do. I think the HDD is in good condition (I checked with Seagate's software and CrystalDiskInfo I think), and it never reaches high temperatures (usually around 40C).

Thank you so much.

(if it matters, the mobo is ASUS H110M-K and the HDD is Seagate ST1000DM003-1CH162)

Munberri

Prominent
May 19, 2019
What is full system spec? What is you PSU make and model?

Have you tried reseating SATA power and data cables? Also try with other cables if available.
I have tried reseating the cable, but I have not tried a new cable yet , I'll try one.
It's been fine with the same specs for a few years:
i5 6600, 2x8GB DDR4 2133Mhz, Gainward GTX 1070 GS, 550W (Antec I think, 80+ bronze), SanDisk 240GB SSD and some AliExpress RGB fans lol