moozh

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2005

For some reason whenever I try to play a movie off of my local hard
disk it freezes every two minutes or so and resumes about 2-5 seconds
later. This does not happen on my data drive.

My local disk has Windows XP Professional SP2 installed on it. The
hard drive is a RAID0 array of two Maxtor 6B080M0 drives (DiamondMax10
80GB SATA w/ NCQ). I am using them on an Intel D915PBL using the ICH6R
raid drivers.

These are both brand new drives with a fresh install of XP and recent
scandisk and defragmentations performed.

I have tried booting to safe mode and ending as many services and
processes as possible but nothing seems to help which is why I think it
is a hardware issue. My data drive is a RAID1 of two Maxtor
DiamondMax9's (6Y160M0), so I have a feeling the issue might be
NCQ-related since that's the main difference between the drives.
Anybody know how to disable NCQ, if it's possible?

Thanks,

Moozh

Moozh wrote:

> For some reason whenever I try to play a movie off of my local hard
> disk it freezes every two minutes or so and resumes about 2-5 seconds
> later. This does not happen on my data drive.
>
> My local disk has Windows XP Professional SP2 installed on it. The
> hard drive is a RAID0 array of two Maxtor 6B080M0 drives (DiamondMax10
> 80GB SATA w/ NCQ). I am using them on an Intel D915PBL using the ICH6R
> raid drivers.
>
> These are both brand new drives with a fresh install of XP and recent
> scandisk and defragmentations performed.
>
> I have tried booting to safe mode and ending as many services and
> processes as possible but nothing seems to help which is why I think it
> is a hardware issue. My data drive is a RAID1 of two Maxtor
> DiamondMax9's (6Y160M0), so I have a feeling the issue might be
> NCQ-related since that's the main difference between the drives.
> Anybody know how to disable NCQ, if it's possible?

If anything NCQ would be improving the performance, not degrading it, but it
doesn't happen at all unless both ends support it.

Where is your swap file and is your commit charge larger than your physical
RAM when the pauses occur?

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate

Moozh <mime84@gmail.com> wrote:
> For some reason whenever I try to play a movie off of my local hard
> disk it freezes every two minutes or so and resumes about 2-5 seconds
> later. This does not happen on my data drive.
>
> My local disk has Windows XP Professional SP2 installed on it. The
> hard drive is a RAID0 array of two Maxtor 6B080M0 drives (DiamondMax10
> 80GB SATA w/ NCQ). I am using them on an Intel D915PBL using the
> ICH6R raid drivers.
>
> These are both brand new drives with a fresh install of XP
> and recent scandisk and defragmentations performed.

Try running the diagnostic on both drives individually.

It may be something as basic as retrys on a weak sector etc.

> I have tried booting to safe mode and ending as many services and
> processes as possible but nothing seems to help which is why I think
> it is a hardware issue. My data drive is a RAID1 of two Maxtor
> DiamondMax9's (6Y160M0), so I have a feeling the issue might be
> NCQ-related since that's the main difference between the drives.
> Anybody know how to disable NCQ, if it's possible?

moozh

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2005

I get the same problem for all files. I don't think it's anything
physically wrong with the data because the parts that freeze are
random, and if I reverse and play back the frames which froze I don't
get the same problem the 2nd time. Seems to be an interval of roughly
two minutes but not consistently.

My physical RAM is 2048MB, my page file is 2046MB.

Moozh <mime84@gmail.com> wrote

> I get the same problem for all files. I don't think it's anything
> physically wrong with the data because the parts that freeze are
> random, and if I reverse and play back the frames which froze I don't
> get the same problem the 2nd time. Seems to be an interval of roughly
> two minutes but not consistently.

> My physical RAM is 2048MB, my page file is 2046MB.

Try it without limiting the size of the page file.