Hard Drive LED Always Blinking

Hi All:

I have a Dell Dimension XPS T600 desktop with Windows XP. I just replaced
the original Seagate 28.5 GB hard drive with a new Seagate Barracude ATA 200
GB drive (Model ST3200822A) and installed Windows XP including service pack
and updates.

The hard drive LED blinks every few seconds, even though no apps or
background processes are running. I turned off the Windows indexing option
for the drive, closed all programs including antivirus and other background
processes via Task Manager, and physically disconnected my cable modem, but
blinking did not stop. I rebooted to safe mode, but blinking still did not
stop. What do you suppose is causing my hard drive to be accessed
continuously? The constant clicking noise is very annoying, although the
drive is fairly quiet compared to the original.

If I can't find the source of the problem, are there any freeware programs
to wipe the drive clean before I return it to the store for a refund?

Thanx,
Keybored

tonys

how much ram do you have?....you might want to set your virtual memory to a
set figure instead of letting windows manage it....
windows xp could be constantly adjusting the virtual memory.....

"Key Bored" <sniffer@eudoramail.com> wrote in message
> Hi All:
>
> I have a Dell Dimension XPS T600 desktop with Windows XP. I just replaced
> the original Seagate 28.5 GB hard drive with a new Seagate Barracude ATA
200
> GB drive (Model ST3200822A) and installed Windows XP including service
pack
> and updates.
>
> The hard drive LED blinks every few seconds, even though no apps or
> background processes are running. I turned off the Windows indexing
option
> for the drive, closed all programs including antivirus and other
background
> processes via Task Manager, and physically disconnected my cable modem,
but
> blinking did not stop. I rebooted to safe mode, but blinking still did
not
> stop. What do you suppose is causing my hard drive to be accessed
> continuously? The constant clicking noise is very annoying, although the
> drive is fairly quiet compared to the original.
>
> If I can't find the source of the problem, are there any freeware programs
> to wipe the drive clean before I return it to the store for a refund?
>
> Thanx,
> Keybored

turn "autorun" off for your optical drives.

"Key Bored" <sniffer@eudoramail.com> wrote in message
> Hi All:
>
> I have a Dell Dimension XPS T600 desktop with Windows XP. I just replaced
> the original Seagate 28.5 GB hard drive with a new Seagate Barracude ATA
200
> GB drive (Model ST3200822A) and installed Windows XP including service
pack
> and updates.
>
> The hard drive LED blinks every few seconds, even though no apps or
> background processes are running. I turned off the Windows indexing
option
> for the drive, closed all programs including antivirus and other
background
> processes via Task Manager, and physically disconnected my cable modem,
but
> blinking did not stop. I rebooted to safe mode, but blinking still did
not
> stop. What do you suppose is causing my hard drive to be accessed
> continuously? The constant clicking noise is very annoying, although the
> drive is fairly quiet compared to the original.
>
> If I can't find the source of the problem, are there any freeware programs
> to wipe the drive clean before I return it to the store for a refund?
>
> Thanx,
> Keybored

Thanks for response. I turned off autorun but no luck. I then disabled
optical drives in Device Manager, but problem remains.

Thanx,
Keybored

> turn "autorun" off for your optical drives.
>
> "Key Bored" <sniffer@eudoramail.com> wrote in message
> > Hi All:
> >
> > I have a Dell Dimension XPS T600 desktop with Windows XP. I just
replaced
> > the original Seagate 28.5 GB hard drive with a new Seagate Barracude ATA
> 200
> > GB drive (Model ST3200822A) and installed Windows XP including service
> pack
> > and updates.
> >
> > The hard drive LED blinks every few seconds, even though no apps or
> > background processes are running. I turned off the Windows indexing
> option
> > for the drive, closed all programs including antivirus and other
> background
> > processes via Task Manager, and physically disconnected my cable modem,
> but
> > blinking did not stop. I rebooted to safe mode, but blinking still did
> not
> > stop. What do you suppose is causing my hard drive to be accessed
> > continuously? The constant clicking noise is very annoying, although
the
> > drive is fairly quiet compared to the original.
> >
> > If I can't find the source of the problem, are there any freeware
programs
> > to wipe the drive clean before I return it to the store for a refund?
> >
> > Thanx,
> > Keybored

Thanks for your suggestion. I have 512 MB of RAM. I tried different
variations in the virtual memory settings, but nothing did the trick. I
contacted Seagate technical support, and they speculated that it might be
faulty LED control on the motherboard. But the fact remains that I didn't
have the problem with my original Seagate drive.

Key Bored.

> Thanks for your suggestion. I have 512 MB of RAM. I tried different
> variations in the virtual memory settings, but nothing did the trick. I
> contacted Seagate technical support, and they speculated that it might be
> faulty LED control on the motherboard. But the fact remains that I didn't
> have the problem with my original Seagate drive.
>
> Key Bored.

<snip>

I don't really think what you're seeing is a problem. All my machines (3
Dells and 1 homebuilt) have exhibited a timed but very brief HDD activity
LED as if polling the drive at one time or another. (By "brief", I mean one
half second or less).

Unless it's a peeve of yours, I wouldn't worry about it. But that's just me.

Stew

brand new 8300 w/ 3.4P amd 1GB ram blinks every second for a split second.

S.Lewis wrote:
> "Key Bored" <sniffer@eudoramail.com> wrote in message
>
>>Thanks for your suggestion. I have 512 MB of RAM. I tried different
>>variations in the virtual memory settings, but nothing did the trick. I
>>contacted Seagate technical support, and they speculated that it might be
>>faulty LED control on the motherboard. But the fact remains that I didn't
>>have the problem with my original Seagate drive.
>>
>>Key Bored.
>>

> <snip>
>

> I don't really think what you're seeing is a problem. All my machines (3
> Dells and 1 homebuilt) have exhibited a timed but very brief HDD activity
> LED as if polling the drive at one time or another. (By "brief", I mean one
> half second or less).
>
> Unless it's a peeve of yours, I wouldn't worry about it. But that's just me.
>

> Stew

Where do you turn of autorun in Device Manager?

Remove one double "n" to reply

WSZsr wrote:

> turn "autorun" off for your optical drives.
>
> "Key Bored" <sniffer@eudoramail.com> wrote in message
>
>>Hi All:
>>
>>I have a Dell Dimension XPS T600 desktop with Windows XP. I just replaced
>>the original Seagate 28.5 GB hard drive with a new Seagate Barracude ATA
>
> 200
>
>>GB drive (Model ST3200822A) and installed Windows XP including service
>
> pack
>
>>and updates.
>>
>>The hard drive LED blinks every few seconds, even though no apps or
>>background processes are running. I turned off the Windows indexing
>
> option
>
>>for the drive, closed all programs including antivirus and other
>
> background
>
>>processes via Task Manager, and physically disconnected my cable modem,
>
> but
>
>>blinking did not stop. I rebooted to safe mode, but blinking still did
>
> not
>
>>stop. What do you suppose is causing my hard drive to be accessed
>>continuously? The constant clicking noise is very annoying, although the
>>drive is fairly quiet compared to the original.
>>
>>If I can't find the source of the problem, are there any freeware programs
>>to wipe the drive clean before I return it to the store for a refund?
>>
>>Thanx,
>>Keybored

"Obtain and install TweakUI (part of the PowerToys for Windows XP package),
and then start TweakUI.
Expand the My Computer branch, then the AutoPlay branch, and then select
Drives.
Turn off the checkbox next to each drive letter for which you want AutoPlay
disabled."

"devans" <devans@nnemonet.com> wrote in message
> Where do you turn of autorun in Device Manager?
>
> Remove one double "n" to reply
>
> WSZsr wrote:
>
> > turn "autorun" off for your optical drives.
> >
> > "Key Bored" <sniffer@eudoramail.com> wrote in message
> >
> >>Hi All:
> >>
> >>I have a Dell Dimension XPS T600 desktop with Windows XP. I just
replaced
> >>the original Seagate 28.5 GB hard drive with a new Seagate Barracude ATA
> >
> > 200
> >
> >>GB drive (Model ST3200822A) and installed Windows XP including service
> >
> > pack
> >
> >>and updates.
> >>
> >>The hard drive LED blinks every few seconds, even though no apps or
> >>background processes are running. I turned off the Windows indexing
> >
> > option
> >
> >>for the drive, closed all programs including antivirus and other
> >
> > background
> >
> >>processes via Task Manager, and physically disconnected my cable modem,
> >
> > but
> >
> >>blinking did not stop. I rebooted to safe mode, but blinking still did
> >
> > not
> >
> >>stop. What do you suppose is causing my hard drive to be accessed
> >>continuously? The constant clicking noise is very annoying, although
the
> >>drive is fairly quiet compared to the original.
> >>
> >>If I can't find the source of the problem, are there any freeware
programs
> >>to wipe the drive clean before I return it to the store for a refund?
> >>
> >>Thanx,
> >>Keybored

>"S.Lewis" stew1960@nospam.bellsouth.net

>I don't really think what you're seeing is a problem. All my machines (3
>Dells and 1 homebuilt) have exhibited a timed but very brief HDD activity
>LED as if polling the drive at one time or another. (By "brief", I mean one
>half second or less).
>
>Unless it's a peeve of yours, I wouldn't worry about it. But that's just me.

The hard drive on my Dimension sometimes is busy for extended periods of time,
say 30 seconds, where it is running and light is on even though I'm not doing
much of anything with the computer. What causes this?

--
"When you argue with a fool be sure he is not similarly occupied."

See how the Pros get more POWER!
http://www.powrwrap.com/press.htm

Blade

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2003

"Alan S. Wales" <powrwrap@aol.compost> wrote in message

> The hard drive on my Dimension sometimes is busy for extended periods of
time,
> say 30 seconds, where it is running and light is on even though I'm not
doing
> much of anything with the computer. What causes this?

Probably windows creating a system restore point.

ok but what about my question? how do you turn off the Autorun?

WSZsr wrote:
> "Obtain and install TweakUI (part of the PowerToys for Windows XP package),
> and then start TweakUI.
> Expand the My Computer branch, then the AutoPlay branch, and then select
> Drives.
> Turn off the checkbox next to each drive letter for which you want AutoPlay
> disabled."
>
> "devans" <devans@nnemonet.com> wrote in message
>
>>Where do you turn of autorun in Device Manager?
>>
>>Remove one double "n" to reply
>>
>>WSZsr wrote:
>>

>>>turn "autorun" off for your optical drives.
>>>
>>>"Key Bored" <sniffer@eudoramail.com> wrote in message

> replaced

>>>200

>>>pack

>>>option

>>>background

>>>but

>>>not

> the

> programs

autorun = autoplay.

> ok but what about my question? how do you turn off the Autorun?
>
> WSZsr wrote:
> > "Obtain and install TweakUI (part of the PowerToys for Windows XP
package),
> > and then start TweakUI.
> > Expand the My Computer branch, then the AutoPlay branch, and then select
> > Drives.
> > Turn off the checkbox next to each drive letter for which you want
AutoPlay
> > disabled."
> >
> > "devans" <devans@nnemonet.com> wrote in message
> >
> >>Where do you turn of autorun in Device Manager?
> >>
> >>Remove one double "n" to reply

> > replaced

ATA

> > the

> > programs

Can you explain where and what this feature is?

WSZsr wrote:

> autorun = autoplay.
>
> "devans" <devans@nnemonet.com> wrote in message
>
>>ok but what about my question? how do you turn off the Autorun?
>>
>>WSZsr wrote:
>>
>>>"Obtain and install TweakUI (part of the PowerToys for Windows XP
>
> package),
>
>>>and then start TweakUI.
>>>Expand the My Computer branch, then the AutoPlay branch, and then select
>>>Drives.
>>>Turn off the checkbox next to each drive letter for which you want
>
> AutoPlay
>
>>>disabled."
>>>
>>>"devans" <devans@nnemonet.com> wrote in message

>>>replaced

> ATA

> modem,

> did

>>>the

>>>programs

devans <devans@nnemonet.com> wrote:

>Can you explain where and what this feature is?

The easiest way to adjust your autoplay settings, and do a lot of
other stuff is, as WSZsr said, to download MS's utility TweakUI
[as in Tweak User Interface] at:

[The version here requires XP with Service Pack 1 installed. If
you haven't done SP 1 yet, you'll have to pook around that area
for the earlier TweakUI version]

Look to the right hand side of the page and you'll find the
download command for TweakUI. Then, to quote WSZsr:

>WSZsr wrote:
>
>"Obtain and install TweakUI (part of the PowerToys for Windows XP package),

>and then start TweakUI.

>Expand the My Computer branch, then the AutoPlay branch, and then select Drives.
>Turn off the checkbox next to each drive letter for which you want AutoPlay disabled."
--
OJ III
[Email sent to Yahoo address is burned before reading.