Hard drive light stays on and system slow

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

deliriumdave

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2010
I have an issue with my Hard drive light staying on and my system is really slow. This has only happened recently and I am not sure what is causing it.
I have a SATA drive as boot drive (250gig) and I had an old 40gig drive for data from yonks ago. I though the data drive was failing so I replaced it with another 250gig drive but after a few minutes the red light came back on and the system lagged again.
I have set the boot sequence to the sata drive followed by rom and turned off the IDE drive. Still did not fix. I have checked all the cables and they are connected and not that old.
Any ideas??[

gdk2014

Reputable
Sep 21, 2014
I don't think that will work for UNIX686 (Linux Mint 17 MATE (Qiana) 64bit so I will just have to wait until the kernel gets updated as I didnot have the problem with LM13 MATE 32bit,LM14 MATE 32bit,LM15 MATE 64bit started acting up in LM16 MATE 64bit and also in LM17 MATE 64bit but I will tolerate it for now.

Imz Deodex

Honorable
Oct 15, 2014
UPDATE: The above solution works! it seems the problem of the HDD light staying on is because the Data connector to the DVD is still connected even though I have unplugged the power connector, I have now completely solve the light issue by removing both connectors from my motherboard and the HDD light is back to normal

johnnyxs

Reputable
Apr 26, 2015
brilliant ! unplugging the SATA power lead to the CD fixed my constant hard drive light too.
Previously I had gone through everything with a fine tooth comb for weeks shutting things off in services etc .I was convinced it was a hidden task running in tha background and it was doing my head in watching that orange light all day .Grrrr
So I must have a faulty DVD drive or something related. At least I know where the problem lies now.
I'll substitute a spare drive and try that first .
Incidentally I was noticeing a constant ticking sound from my speakers and entries in the Windows Task Manager Processes were jumping around in sync with the speaker clicks . They've both gone now
Thanks everyone for posting.

PghPhil

Reputable
Aug 9, 2015
Wow, amazing! I would never have thought the DVD drive had anything to do with the HDD light staying on. Mine shuts itself off (T400 Thinkpad with Win 7) to conserve power, I just opened the tray and once it powered on the HDD light started working properly.

Thanks to everyone posting their replies to this thread!!!

Phil