Hard Drive Lost It's Contents - Thinks it's Unformatted

anotheruser2

Prominent
Oct 14, 2018
Built a new PC but at some point it's corrupted an internal hard drive I've had split into three partitions using an external caddy to connect it.
One partition is fine as I already transferred data.
The third partition keeps disconnecting and reconnecting but I'm managing to copy the data from it (hope it isn't corrupt!).

The 2nd though, it's completely gone.
It was fine but now Windows thinks there's a problem and needs to "fix" the drive.

I'm sure this happened years ago and a program I used inspected the drive and recreated a contents table (sorry for my bad way of explaining!). I was then able to use the drive as normal and copy files.

Also read disabling legacy USB in BIOS may help?

I've checked the power plan and it isn't trying to shut off USB devices.
I've also been using the same hard drive for years with no problem.
I've been using the case for the past week on and off with different drives - all fine.

EDIT: Connected to the PC without using the case and the drive is back, all working fine.
Does this mean the case is on the way out, or is there a potential problem with the USB ports? I did try two different ones but the same thing happened (disconnecting).

Thanks

These two statements are inconclusive.

"I've been using the case for the past week on and off with different drives - all fine."

"Connected to the PC without using the case and the drive is back, all working fine."

It could be that the hard drive had bad sectors ("pending") which have since been reallocated. A SMART report would confirm this.