Question Hard drive makes PC slow

Jul 25, 2020
Hi, maybe someone can help me.

I have a Samsung 970 EVO SSD with 500GB and a Seagate ST2000DM008 2TB. Everything on my SSD runs perfect but after some time things involving my HDD get very slow (very very loading screens in games and explorer crashes when opening D:// for example).
So i tried to unplug my HDD and plug it in again and everything worked fine, for 3 weeks when everything started to happen again. For some time i lived with the sometimes replugging of my HDD but at some point my PC started to take forever to shut down, although Windows and all system data is installed on my SSD.
Since i thought my HDD is the problem i bought a new one, which unfortunately didn't solve the problem.
Because the problem annoyed me and i didn't have to use my HDD necessary i unplugged it.
Then the problem was gone for sometime before it got worse, i was so confused that i started to try random things and unplugging my DVD drive seemed to be a problem too (examples of the problems at this point were no more shutting down of my PC without killing it, explorer crashes, games stuck in loading screen).
Therefore i thought it might be my SATA controller on my main board (MB ASRock B450 Pro4 AM4) so i bought a QNINE PCI Express SATA Controller Expansion Card which didn't solve the problem at all.
Now i have my DVD drive unplugged and my HDD is only in use as data storage (the problem seems to occur faster if i use the HDD more often) so i could reduce the replugging to once every 4-5 weeks.

Since i'm not that good with computers i hope i can find some help here, if you need some more information just let me know.
Thank you in advance!

Lutfij

Titan
I would make sure you don't have any partitions for your system installation on the HDD. I'd also ask you to backup your critical data onto a removable device and then use a bootable installer created with Windows Media Creation Tools to reinstall the OS from scratch, making sure you delete all partitions from the SSD and start anew and install.

Speaking of removing, we're talking about removing the devices while the system is powered down and disconnected from the wall, correct?

Might want to list your specs with us as well. Please include/list your specs like so:
CPU:
Motherboard: w/ BIOS version
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
GPU:
PSU:

Jul 25, 2020
First of all thank you for your answer!

If i would have any partitions for my system installation on my HDD wouldn't the system stop working without it being plugged in?
I shut down my computer and just unplugged the HDD (i did not disconnect it from the wall).
I was hoping not to reinstall windows but i think i have to try. Should i unplug the HDD while reinstalling to make sure there is no data saved on it?

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 Six-Core Processor 3,40 GHz
Motherboard: ASRock B450 Pro4 with "American Megatrends Inc. P1.30, 04.07.2018" (is this right?)
Ram: 2x 8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX High Performance Desktop Memory Module
SSD/HDD: 970 EVO SSD with 500GB / Seagate ST2000DM008 2TB
GPU: Radeon RX 580 8GB
PSU: Be Quiet System Power Supply 9, Black 600W

Jul 25, 2020
Hi again.

I reinstalled Windows completely (with only my SSD connected) but the slowing down of my drive still occures.
Maybe someone has an idea?

Thank you in advance :)