Hard drive makes rattling noise when first booting up

illiterate16

Commendable
Jul 17, 2016
During boot and for a bit after my hard drive makes the most annoying rattling noise. I traced the noise to the hard drive and I recorded the noise. Here is a recording from right next to the hard drive when it's making the noise. Also for reference here is another recording from the same distance when the hard drive is out of the case during boot. The noise can't really be heard during the second recording so that's why I was thinking it was just vibrating or rattling the case. Whatever the reason for the noise, is there anything that I can do to fix it? This computer was built brand new only 8 months ago and hasn't even been used for that entire time since. Thanks.

Edit: Just listened to the first recording again and realized you can't hear it as well as I thought. You can hear what the noise sounds like but it is actually louder than you would think from the recording.

Solution
Hi there illiterate16,

My suggestion would be to back up the data stored on the drive. You should always keep your important data stored on at least two places anyway.

After that, you can re-seat the drive. Attach it with different cables to another SATA port. Another thing you can do is to check the drive's health status out: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/282651-32-best-diagnostic-testing-utility

If the drive fails the tests, then you can contact the place you got the PC from and eventually RMA the drive.

Cheers,
D_Know_WD
Hi there illiterate16,

My suggestion would be to back up the data stored on the drive. You should always keep your important data stored on at least two places anyway.

After that, you can re-seat the drive. Attach it with different cables to another SATA port. Another thing you can do is to check the drive's health status out: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/282651-32-best-diagnostic-testing-utility

If the drive fails the tests, then you can contact the place you got the PC from and eventually RMA the drive.

Cheers,
D_Know_WD

Solution