[SOLVED] Hard Drive Making Noise When Shook?

Nov 23, 2018
Really odd question, but should I hard drive make a noise that sounds like small pieces moving around inside when I flip it over? I don't have all the parts I need for my pc yet so I have no way to test it. I just want to make sure it is alright before I build my pc so I don't have to send it back and get a new one when I'm trying to build.

It is a WD Blue 1tb

Solution

a hard drive should not make a noise when you move it when off and unplugged.
when a hard drive is in use some do tic some don't some will hum what you don't want is it to make a loud ping or clack when running.
if your hard drive is making noise unplugged just moving it to inspect it send it back RMA it get a new one
Nov 23, 2018

Been awhile, didnt get a notification but I didnt shake my drive. I wrote shook because I didnt know the other word to use, the drive simply made this noise when I was moving it out of the box....

trampus123

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

a hard drive should not make a noise when you move it when off and unplugged.
when a hard drive is in use some do tic some don't some will hum what you don't want is it to make a loud ping or clack when running.
if your hard drive is making noise unplugged just moving it to inspect it send it back RMA it get a new one

Solution