Question Hard drive making ticking noise

Bob1nba

Reputable
Aug 10, 2019
Alright so in my PC I have a Seagate 2 tb HDD that is kind of just there, not really using it for anything other than game capture videos, pictures, etc. My operating system is on my NVME drive and all my games, applications, etc are all on another SSD.

So lately my HDD has been making a weird noise, its done it in the past but it's louder and more frequent as of now. It sounds like ticking. It will do it for a few seconds than stop, and randomly start up again. I did a test on my drives with Crystal disk checker and it does say the drive has like sector count issued and lists an amount. All of things I don't understand of course.

My question is, should I just replace or disconnect it since I'm not really using it for anything other than storage anyway? If it died I guess it wouldn't affect how the PC works because the OS and all other important programs are not on the hard drive.

Alright so in my PC I have a Seagate 2 tb HDD that is kind of just there, not really using it for anything other than game capture videos, pictures, etc. My operating system is on my NVME drive and all my games, applications, etc are all on another SSD.

So lately my HDD has been making a weird noise, its done it in the past but it's louder and more frequent as of now. It sounds like ticking. It will do it for a few seconds than stop, and randomly start up again. I did a test on my drives with Crystal disk checker and it does say the drive has like sector count issued and lists an amount. All of things I don't understand of course.

My question is, should I just replace or disconnect it since I'm not really using it for anything other than storage anyway? If it died I guess it wouldn't affect how the PC works because the OS and all other important programs are not on the hard drive.
If it's not being used unplug it.

Don't wait for the thing to fail and cause some goofy thing to happen.

Reactions: Inthrutheoutdoor

kanewolf

Titan

To me "pictures" is definitely a SOMETHING on this disk. Anything you desire to keep needs to be copied off.
Clicking is usually a symptom that the disk is having to seek to the hard stop because it could not read sync track data where it was trying to read. This means it is failing. Save your data. Check the SMART data and probably remove / replace.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS