Hard Drive momentarily clicks/stops spinning

skare44

Distinguished
May 26, 2010
Hey Guys.. Bout a week ago, my 7 yr old western digital hard drive started doing this thing, where it'd click, then make a sound that sounds like the head on the drive is losing its place, or the drive is stopping spinning, cant quite work out which it is, the result is the computer will hang for a few seconds then recover (Windows 7 - 64 Pro) ... Ok, so instead of attempting to fix the problem, i replaced the drive with a brand new Hitachi 500Gb drive, first few days all running well, as i'm downloading all my games from Steam..

Then, yesterday, it started doing the same thing again, but now, on occasion, it fails to recover and completely locks up... The PC was built around 6 months ago, using all good quality parts:

600W OCZ PSU
Intel E8200 Core 2 Duo
Nvidia 8800GTX
4Gb Corsair RAM
Gigabyte EP31 Mainboard
2 Large case fans

I'm baffled as to what could be causing it, the chances that the new hard drive has the same fault as the old are slim, i'd say.. And the power supply should be more than enough, i've tried changing the power settings, tried balanced, high performance etc... But no joy!

Anyone encountered this problem before, any help on this would be greatly appreciated...

Thx .. Glen!

skare44

Distinguished
May 26, 2010
I've fixed it now, i had the old hard drive plugged in as a slave drive, un-plugged it, no more probs... should have mentioned that in original post, Duhhhhhhh ... thx for replies though :)