Hard drive motor failure, the reason, and how can i fix it?

memotrix

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2008
Hi guys,i have a serious problem, my hard drive probably died. how that happend? like that:

i bought a kit , its a "USB 2.0 TO SATA/IDE CABLE" from DYNAMODE company maybe some of you know it.
i decided to buy it, because my friend had one, and i needed one too, he let me use his kit, until i will buy my own.

so, i bought one, and on the first attepmt to use the kit, i pluged it into my second hard drive.
when i pluged the power adapter, it did some weird noise, like a non stoping beep noise, and when i unnplugd it, the noise is no more.
ok i plugd it again, and touched the hard drive to feel it if the motor is spining, but it wont, its only get hoter and hoter on the chips and the motor of the hard drive wont starts.
than i realized that probably this power adapter, burned my hard drive chips or somthing, that starts the engine.

i tested it, i took the moled connection and tested how much volts it outputs, well, on my friends adapter and molex, it give 13-14V ~ and 6.5V ~ , ok, just how it should be.
then i took mine, and tested it, and it OUTPUTS 17V~ and insted of 5-6V~ it OUTPUTS 16.5V~ in the molex connector that is connected to the power adapter that converts the 220V to hard drive volts.

so, insted of recivind 5-6V ~ the cips on the hard drive recievd 17V~ and that BURNED them i think.

my questions are like that:
1) of course i will go to the store and demend them to change the kit, but what with the hard drive? i saw on the internet and read on some places. that many peole change the chips, or the whol green chip borad on the hard drive them selfs, is it possible? (i have the knowledge to do it) ? can it be done? to change only that chi that burned? and wont start the engine?
2) will the store have to fix my hard drive because of their kit that they sold and burned my hard drive? or the company that makes this kit is the one to blame? after all my data is not lost but i cant start the motor, so it dead for now.
3) will the sotre needs to send it to try and fix it? or recover the data? or half i pay and half they pay to do this? i need some advise please.

thank you, sorry for the long text.

roadrunner197069

Splendid
Sep 3, 2007
You could try to replace the circuit board, but you will nedd a exact same HDD to get one from, and it probably aint gonna work.

The store or manufacturer will give you a new adapter, but theres no way they will buy you a new HDD or repair yours.

Ive read reviews on those and similar ones, and if you dont plug them in the right sequence they are famous for burning hard drives.

bc4

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2004
1) Very hard to do, you have to find a hard drive with the exact same board --- I do no recommend unless you have time and money to spare
2) The store will most likely not do anything other than replace the defective part you bought from them. (maybe if you bought the drive there and have a reciept --- they might take it back if you are really nice)
3) I would send an email to the manufacturer of the usb/ide cable and see if they are willing to help you. Most likely they would only buy you a new hard drive IF they are willing to help you at all--- not likely.

Your data is going to be hard to recover and costly, is it worth it?

memotrix

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2008
thnx for the help guys !

mmm yes this data is prrety much important, but you right, the sotre will probably will not do anything, but meybe if i will be nice and show them that im serious, they might just change or give me a second hand? or somthing? jsut to keep their reputation ? this might work.

if nothing will work, i will just find a matching PCB as possible, and switch them, with hope it will work.

but the most important lesson that i learnd is : BACKUP BACKUP BACKUP, today i go and buy myself an EXTERNAL HARD DRIVE !, finally.

have a good day and thnx for the tips :).

but just to be sure, what are my chances of replacing with success the pcb? if i could find as matching one as i can?