[SOLVED] Hard drive noise and freezing on boot

noksbrow

Honorable
Mar 3, 2014
On boot, my hard drive makes an audible humming noise and all processes freeze. The best way I can describe the noise is almost like a low pitched fan like the drive is spinning very fast. I've had the same issue with 2 drives now and I'm not sure if it's worth going for a third at this point or looking else where for the issue. I do have a warranty though.

I've ran SeaTools on the drive and it fails the short drive self check, short generic, and long generic tests. At this point, I'm wondering if it's possible that another piece of hardware might be causing these issues and potentially damaging my drives. I've also tested it with different SATA cables and ports to no avail. Any help or advice on different test or avenues is greatly appreciated. Let me know if there is any addition information needed.

CPU: Intel Core i7 3770 @ 3.40GHz
Motherboard: ASUS P8Z77-V LX
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970
Hard Drive: 2TB Seagate ST2000DM008

Solution
Well the drive definitely needs replacing if it's failed diagnostics, but I guess you already knew that.

I suggest you replace it with a WD HDD, they've always proved to be much more durable & reliable than Seagate drives in my experience. Or, better still, get an SSD (no moving parts and many times faster than any HDD).

I can't comment on whether or not some other issue is causing drive failure except to say nothing springs to mind.
Well the drive definitely needs replacing if it's failed diagnostics, but I guess you already knew that.

I suggest you replace it with a WD HDD, they've always proved to be much more durable & reliable than Seagate drives in my experience. Or, better still, get an SSD (no moving parts and many times faster than any HDD).

I can't comment on whether or not some other issue is causing drive failure except to say nothing springs to mind.

Solution