Question Hard drive not bootable; ~12 hours later it was fine?

Dec 6, 2019
So I had left my computer running while I went to run some random errands, everything was fine. No issues.
I come back a few hours later to find that my computer had a BSOD and was stuck at 0% on the restart process, and stayed that way long enough for me to just do a forced restart with the power button.

At this point forward, I was unable to boot up my device (Lenovo Y50-70), as the SSD (a Toshiba Q Series Pro) was not showing up on the boot menu.

I then proceeded to disassemble the laptop, unplug and replug the sata cable to make sure it hadn't miraculously come loose by chance, and then reattempted boot. Still failed. So I accepted my fate, my hard drive was borked, and figured I'd need to get a new one and just left my laptop alone for the night.

Fast forward about 12 hours, I wake up the next morning and, out of curiosity, decide to see if my laptop will boot. To my bewilderment, it did, with no issues or other anomalies that would suggest it had been acting up in the slightest, less than 24 hours prior. A scan of the SSD showed no errors of any kind.

Could someone give me some insight on what the heck could have happened here?

Ralston18

Titan
Laptop specs and OS?

Maybe some brief power outage while you were out?

Look in Reliability History and Event Viewer for error codes, warnings, and even informational events.

As to what happened - some update or other process may have been interrupted. System crashed and for whatever reasons could not recover.

Upon reboot and perhaps the expiration of some ongoing and failing attempts to "do something" the computer just ignored those issues and fell back on some previous and working configuration.

Consider yourself fortunate and take the opportunity to backup all data. Verify that the data is both recoverable and readable.

Hopefully whatever happened was simply some fluke of events. AKA "Gremlins".

Protect your data and pay attention to what may be happening via Task Manager and Resource Monitor on your laptop.

Dec 6, 2019
Can't get it to insert as a photo, so here's a screenshot link since I'm too lazy to copypasta.

Laptop Specs/OS

I want to say it's got something to do with the "insider program" for windows updates, like perhaps there's an update they're trying to push that just isn't working, but every time this happens, it's when I'm NOT using the device so I'm not sure.