Hard drive not connecting to Xbox one

Iamlegend209

Commendable
Jun 5, 2016
My we my book use to connect to my Xbox one but now it is not connecting at all. Changed the cable from hard drive to Xbox one also plugged direct to wall socket please help.

Solution
Hello again, Iamlegend209!

Can you provide more details and share links to some screenshots from there? How does the HDD appear in Disk Management and Device Manager?
I'd recommend you to run WD's Data LifeGuard Diagnostics for Windows and see if it will recognize the external WD My Book. You should run the QUICK and EXTENDED tests from the utility in order to determine the health and SMART status of the drive.

Let me know how it goes. Giving more details about your troubleshooting steps would be really helpful.
SuperSoph_WD
Welcome to the TH community, Iamlegend209!

I'd strongly recommend you NOT to tamper with the external drive's enclosure in any way because it would void its warranty. Afterwards, I'd suggest you check how the external WD My Book appears on your computer and more specifically in Disk Management. If you have any important data that is stored on it, back it up before proceeding with the troubleshooting. Another thing you should check is the Xbox One firmware and make sure it's up-to-date.

Let me know how your computer detects the drive. Good luck!
SuperSoph_WD

Iamlegend209

Commendable
Jun 5, 2016
It shows up on my computer. I troubleshoot the hard drive and it does not find any problems. My Xbox firmware is up to date. Thank you for taking the time to help me through this problem.

Hey there again,Iamlegend209!

Since it is recognized on your computer, I'd recommend you backup all the files from it on your PC and reformat the drive through Disk Management. Once you have done that, copy back your files to the WD My Book and attempt to plug it in the Xbox One again. How big is your WD My Book drive? It might actually be a capacity compatibility issue with the Xbox console.

Keep me posted with the troubleshooting!
SuperSoph_WD

Hello again, Iamlegend209!

Can you provide more details and share links to some screenshots from there? How does the HDD appear in Disk Management and Device Manager?
I'd recommend you to run WD's Data LifeGuard Diagnostics for Windows and see if it will recognize the external WD My Book. You should run the QUICK and EXTENDED tests from the utility in order to determine the health and SMART status of the drive.

Let me know how it goes. Giving more details about your troubleshooting steps would be really helpful.
SuperSoph_WD

Solution