Hard Drive Not Detected In BIOS

Troybo

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2010
Greetings!

I purchased a "replacement," for a Gateway DX4200-UB001a desktop. Same computer: Brand, Model, etc. The new rig, however, came without a Hard Drive. This was fine with me, as I wanted simply to swap the old drive into the new computer.

The new computer fires up, but gives me the PXE-E61 error. I found from researching the forums that this is (probably) due a mix-up in the,"boot order." Looking in my BIOS, I see the Hard Drive is not listed.

The three Boot Drives are listed as follows:
1. [USB : IOI CF/MicroDr]
2. [CD/DVD : PM-HL-DT-ST]
3. [Network : B02 D00 Yu]

I checked under Removable Drives, and it's not listed there, either.
The four Removable Drives are listed as follows:
1. [USB : IOI CF/MicroDr]
2. [USB : IOI SM/xD-Pict]
3. [USB : IOI SD/MMC]
4. [USB : IOI MS/MsPro]

I would think this a matter of downloading Drivers, if it were a new Hard Drive, but it's an old Hard Drive. The drivers should be there.

I've removed and reseated the Hard Drive... No luck.

I believe everything is connected properly. My Hard Drive is connected to the SATA 1 port.

Certainly, the "replacement" system had a hard drive in it, previously. Could that also be part of the problem?

I've found that when I unplug the computer, I have to reset the CMOS time and date. Perhaps the battery on the Mobo is dead and preventing the Mobo from detecting the Hard Drive?

I'm not savvy enough to know for sure. I'm not savvy at all, for that matter. I'm just guessing, going by what I've found on various Forums. That's another aspect of the problem: most of the search results I get are about detecting new Hard Drives. I'm having a hard time finding solutions regarding my particular predicament.

And so, a new post it is. Thank You in advance for your time and consideration. I leave it to you fellows...

Solution
Hi
Was the hard drive working previously?

Bios must see drive or you can not proceed
Nothing to do with drivers

Drive must be connected to a sata port which has been enabled in bios and a sata power connector to psu must be connected

If after that has been checked and still does not work then circuit board on hard disk has died

In case of corrupt CMOS causing problem after dead battery

Change CMOS button battery or what ever type fitted
Reset CMOS using jumper while power is disconnected

Restart go into bios set date & time
Load defaults

Then see if hard drive seen

Regards
Mike Barnes
Hi
Was the hard drive working previously?

Bios must see drive or you can not proceed
Nothing to do with drivers

Drive must be connected to a sata port which has been enabled in bios and a sata power connector to psu must be connected

If after that has been checked and still does not work then circuit board on hard disk has died

In case of corrupt CMOS causing problem after dead battery

Change CMOS button battery or what ever type fitted
Reset CMOS using jumper while power is disconnected

Restart go into bios set date & time
Load defaults

Then see if hard drive seen

Regards
Mike Barnes

Solution