NEDGO

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2011
i recently built a new computer and i'm pretty computer lost when it comes to putting them together so a friend did most of it, we got my plextor 128 solid state drive recognized and booted windows, but for some reason my seagate barracuda green 2TB ST2000DL003 hard drive is no where to be found, i'm not really sure what i should do to see what the problem is, i know the sata cables are hooked up and i've tried different ones, but i can't seem to get it to be located in bios or anything, and i'm not really sure what to do...

Some motherboards have two SATA controllers, often distinguished by different coloured SATA ports for each controller. Sometimes the second controller is disabled or the OS may not have drivers for it. Check your BIOS settings to see if you can enable the second controller, or try moving the disk to a different-coloured SATA port.

NEDGO

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2011
i have the asus corssshair ivformula motherboard, it looks as if i have only one set of six sata ports, and i have the corsair 800d or whatever case that lets you slide them in through the front, which connects to the ports, which the sata connects to in the back, but i even took it out of that and directly power and sata cabled it and still nothing.

NEDGO

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2011
i'm assuming the disk is spinning, i mean, it sounds like something is spinning when i turn it on, but i'm not really sure how to check exactly, friend said try setting 1-4 in bios to ahci and 5-6 to ide having the ssd and hdd connected to 1 and 2 and cd drive connected to 6, did that, but then when i restarted, windows started to boot up, and then right it's about to get to the point of having me put in my password to my user for windows, it just restarts by itself.

reconfigrr

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010
If you installed an ssd then it is likely that your bios is set to ahci mode, so you may notbe able to see your hd in your bios. In order to see it in windows you have to initialize it and format it

start -> controlpanel -> administartive tools -> computer management -> disk management.

Hopefully you can see the drive here. Right click to initialize the disk, and format to nfts.

Hope this works :)

NEDGO

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2011
naw definitely not that, and my bios is set to ide, i just said that in the last comment, when trying to set it to ahci and save and restarted, 1-4 set as ahci didn't even show up in bios and windows would fail to boot, it would start but then restart right before admin login. n my ssd was installed while it was set to ide.

I put my fingers on the case to see if I can feel the slight vibration. If that's inconclusive, I put my ear to the case to see if I can hear it. And if that doesn't work and if the drive isn't bolted in place, I try turning the drive to see if I can feel the gyroscopic effect of the spinning platters. If the platters really are spinning that last one is a pretty conclusive way to detect them.

reconfigrr

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010
ah... if you want to change to ahci from Ide then you need to tweak the registry in windows to avoid restarts/blue screens.

1. Exit all Windows-based programs.
2. Click Start, type regedit in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER.
3. If you receive the User Account Control dialog box, click Continue.
4. Locate and then click the following registry subkey:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Msahci

5. In the right pane, right-click Start in the Name column, and then click Modify.
6. In the Value data box, type 0, and then click OK.
7. On the File menu, click Exit to close Registry Editor

Restart and go into the BIOS and make the changes from IDE to AHCI and restart and away you go.

As for not being able to see the hard drive I'm not sure.

NEDGO

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2011
^that worked for windows letting me run after changing to ahci, but still can't locate the hard drive in disk management, and it still seems that when i go to bios after changing the 1-4 satas to ahci from ide, they don't show up, only 5 and 6 do and are under ide.

NEDGO

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2011
not sure what the gyroscopic thing you were referring to is, but i feel no vibration from the hdd, noise, green area on back with the slightest touch is heated up, first time checking all that but idk man.

reconfigrr

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010
Maybe see if plugging the hardrive while in windows works (hot-plugging). I know its not a fix, but atleast if it allows you to see the harddrive then you know its probably fine its something else causing the issue

I guess another good way to work out if the harddrive works is to disconnect the ssd (just incase its causing some whacky conflict), reset the bios to default settings (maybe save the old settings so you can easily change it back), and see if the harddrive appears in the bios. You could also see if it will allow you to choose the harddrvie for a windows install if you put the cd in.

You could also see if it works in another computer, maybe a mates pc or something?

yes i am clutching at straws here, but i don't really have any other ideas :(

NEDGO

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2011
hey man, you're tossing me ideas, that's all i'm looking for at least so i can have some sort of possible ideas!
thanks you!
i got another comp, i'll try putting it in that and see if it recognizes it.

This is gyroscopic action:
Gyroscopic-Action.jpg

If you can't feel any attempt by the drive to twist in a direction at right angles from the way you're turning it, then the platters aren't spinning (or they're not spinning fast enough). In that case, if you're really sure that the drive is getting the correct power then the drive is probably dead.