Hard Drive not found when reinstalling Windows 8 on an Asus Q200e

mac_

Reputable
Jun 25, 2015
Booting off USB, gets to the "Where do you want to install Windows" screen, no Hard Drives are present.

Have tried to manually load several drivers to no avail.

Hard Drive is a Hitachi HTS 545050A7E380

What driver do I need to get the system to see the hard drives so i can continue with the install?

popatim

Titan
You need to use the F-key -'select boot device' (wording may vary) option and then select the UEFI: xxxx option that corresponds to your usb drive.
Once you boot the uefi option windows should see your Hitachi (which I assume also had windows on it and you are reinstalling or upgrading)

Uefi is a secure bios and wont let you see 'unauthoriszed' drives.

mac_

Reputable
Jun 25, 2015

That's not been my issue, here are the steps I am taking:

I hit Esc to bring up the "Please select boot device:" menu. Option I choose is UEFI: USB 2.0 USB Flash Drive 1100
It takes a while to load the installation setup. I choose the languages (English), Time (English US) and Keyboard input (US). I then can choose Install now or Repair your computer. I choose Install now.

Setup starts and runs for a few. I agree to the license terms. I then have to chose what installation do I want, upgrade or custom. I choose Custom: Install Windows Only.

This is where I hit the brick wall. The "Where do you want to install Windows?" screen comes up and I get an error stating "We couldn't find any drives. To get a storage driver, click Load driver".

I have spent hours trying drivers to no avail. It's an Intel Core I3 so I tried all the Intel drivers I can find. (Tried a few AMD too just for posterity) Went to the ASUS website, they recommended Intel_RAID_Win7-8-8-1_V13101058. This had multiple drivers contained within. ALL failed.

It just never sees the drive. I'm stumped. I want to do a reinstall because the version of 8.1 64bit on there now is a mess. It locks up and its very slow. So I dont think the HDD is damaged because the OS loads when I dont force it to boot to USB. And I got the drive information from the BIOS.
Serial ATA Port 0
Device Type: Hard Disk
Model Name: Hitachi HTS545050A7E380
Serial Number : blahblahblahblahblah

So the system sees the drive, it has an existing OS on it that while corrupted, infected or compromised, is bootable. So I dont have any inclination it's a hardware issue with the actual physical drive.
Also I have tried this with all types of BIOS options changed.

Secure Boot Control (Enabled and Disabled)
Launch CMS (Enabled and Disabled)
SATA Mode Selection (AHCI and IDE)

I cannot find any driver to load that gets the Windows 8.1 install to recognize it.