Hard drive not found :(

Mar 24, 2018
I recently bought an old Compaq Mini 311c-1101sa notebook. This I wanted to use for all my windows XP stuff as my main rig is running Windows 10.

When I bought the notebook it had a Linux distro installed. I hooked up my external DVD drive and inserted my Windows XP disc. During the setup, it says it cannot find any hard drives and I cannot progress any further.

I am guessing Windows needs a driver to access my hard drive which from what i can find out is a SATA controller.

Can anyone help me out in getting this to work plz.

Solution
You need to have the SATA driver for nVidia Ion handy on a floppy. It's probably unreasonable to expect the install disc for an OS from 2001 would include a driver from 2009.

Right after XP installation starts, there will be a message on the bottom of the screen to "Press F6 if you need to install a third party SCSI or RAID driver." Unfortunately, USB flash drive support wasn't added until Vista but a USB floppy drive does work fine.

Or you could try to slipstream the driver into your XP disc.
You need to have the SATA driver for nVidia Ion handy on a floppy. It's probably unreasonable to expect the install disc for an OS from 2001 would include a driver from 2009.

Right after XP installation starts, there will be a message on the bottom of the screen to "Press F6 if you need to install a third party SCSI or RAID driver." Unfortunately, USB flash drive support wasn't added until Vista but a USB floppy drive does work fine.

Or you could try to slipstream the driver into your XP disc.

Solution