Hard Drive not recognise by Bios or Disk Management

Jan 24, 2019
There is a background story between my new build computer and the hard drive.
First the issue. I have a new WD Blue 4TB hard drive that is not being recognise by either disk management or Bios. I replaced the Sata cable and still not able to be found.

The background.
I currently have a M.2 907 EVO as my OS installer. My hard drive was going to be my storage. I initially had an issue with the 4TB because it would partition into 2x 2TB where it would allocate the first 2 TB but not the second one. I believe the issue was that the hard drive was an MBR instead of GPT. I don't know how the first time I was able to convert the Hard Drive to GPT and the disk managment was able to see 4TB of storage.

Less than 24 hours I got "Reboot and Select Proper boot device". I am not sure why that happened but my hunch is the hard drive. I am 99.9% sure that my boot priority was pointing to the M.2 but if I got that error then may be it was looking at the hard drive and didn't see an OS.

So I formatted the M.2 and reinstalled OS. Again I saw the same issue with the Hard drive only allowing 2TB of storage instead of 4TB. So I used MiniToool Partition and clicked on "Wipe Disk" which I believe it erased System Restore as well. This somehow converted the hard drive from MBR to GPT. Thus I was able to use 4TB of storage.

Less than 24 hours I got the same error "Reboot and Select Proper boot device". At this point I disconnected the hard drive from the Motherboard. Hoping the boot just see the M.2.
I was not able to reboot and had to reinstall OS again (without the hard drive connected).

When I connected the Hard Drive back on the Motherboard the disk Management and Bios were not able to find the hard drive. So far I haven't seen the "Reboot and select Proper boot device" for two days.

So what is going on here? Did I damage the Hard drive by wiping the disk? Also was my hunch correct that for some odd reason the boot was look at the hard drive first?

One thing I will test is if the Hard Drive can be recognise by other computers.

Specs:
MoBo: Asus Strix x470-F
CPU: AMD 2700x
RAM: G.Skill TridentZ RGP 16GB 3200Hz

You say
"So far I haven't seen the "Reboot and select Proper boot device" for two days."

The reinstall of windows likely solved the initial boot device issue which may have arisen when both drives were attached during a previous install.

"Did I damage the Hard drive by wiping the disk?" Not likely.

" One thing I will test is if the Hard Drive can be recognise by other computers."

Very good idea and be prepared for a dead disk, to be returned under warranty.

Jan 24, 2019
So I wonder if the boot was picking the Hard Drive as a first priority and thus giving the "Reboot" error.

But like I said I swear the BIOS has the C Drive M.2 selected as boot priority.

The boot works properly if I didn't wipe or made the Hard Drive a GPT. So basically if the Hard drive is MBR (partition at 2TB) the boot works fine.
Does converting the Hard Drive to GPT make it a first priority?