hard drive not showing full amount

lobster

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2004

win-xp sp2 os maxtor 250gig 1 gig ram amd 3200+ 200fsb
gigabyte k7 triton ga-7n400 pro 2 hard drive shows just
over 127 gigs this was a fresh install, sys is running
has NTFS file system what did i do wrong or how to fix
this? thanks for any help

right mouse click on "My Computer" select manage,
go to disk management, see how are you partitioning the
drive. (search google for hard disk partition)

See the KB article at
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;303013&Product=winxp

SP1 has now been superceded by SP2 so you probably want to download and
install SP2 instead.
www.coribright.com

"lobster" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> win-xp sp2 os maxtor 250gig 1 gig ram amd 3200+ 200fsb
> gigabyte k7 triton ga-7n400 pro 2 hard drive shows just
> over 127 gigs this was a fresh install, sys is running
> has NTFS file system what did i do wrong or how to fix
> this? thanks for any help

Neil

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Take a look at this
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;303013
Windows XP does not support drives greater than 137G out of the box unless
you have the version with SP1 integrated so you need to change the settings
manually after installation. I assume your bios recognises the drive as
250G.
After the settings are change you can create another drive in free space or
use a program like Partition Magic to enable the full capacity of the drive,
if you want it as a single drive.

all the best
Neil
"lobster" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> win-xp sp2 os maxtor 250gig 1 gig ram amd 3200+ 200fsb
> gigabyte k7 triton ga-7n400 pro 2 hard drive shows just
> over 127 gigs this was a fresh install, sys is running
> has NTFS file system what did i do wrong or how to fix
> this? thanks for any help

Neil

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007