Hard Drive not showing up, and it's not working,,

Aladeen24

Reputable
Dec 7, 2015
Hi there,
I have a hard drive that is not recognized
Is it broken?
Because It wont show on the BIOS,Disk Management and other thingies..
pls tell me if its broken.. and if its broken, please tell me how to fix it, If it cannot be fixed, then im just gonna buy a new one :D

Hey there, Radi.

So I gather this is not a new drive? Can you hear the drive spin-up or feel it vibrate when you start the computer? Did anything in particular happened, which could have led to this? Did you have any issues with the HDD prior to this happening - any unusual sounds/noises coming from the drive, slow read/write speeds, etc?
I'd recommend that you try the drive with a different computer, or at least with a different SATA port and cables on yours, to see if the same thing happens. If the drive shows up in the BIOS or Disk Management, go ahead and download the HDD manufacturer's diagnostics tool and test it, to see if there's anything alarming. However, if the drive still doesn't show up, there's no point of trying the diagnostics tool as it won't be able to recognize the drive if it's not even by the BIOS.
Judging from your post, I assume you don't need to recover data, so I'd suggest that you check if the drive is still under warranty and if it is - try to RMA it (of course if none of the above proves useful).

Please let me know how everything goes.
Boogieman_WD

Aladeen24

Reputable
Dec 7, 2015

Yep, this is not a new hard drive, cant hear the spin up tho, its completely silent since I bought it, I think, well something happened..
yesteday, my computer was freezing, I shut down my computer and then I waited for like 5 mins, and Then the freezing was gone.. the next day, I noticed that the hard drive is not showing up, I searched for solutions, and most of them was to go to the disk management thingie and my HDD dosent appear in the disk management and in the BIOS.. and there were no unusual sounds or noises I think.... Im just gonna try it with a different computer or try a different SATA cable..

Thanks in advance :D

Aladeen24

Reputable
Dec 7, 2015

Yep, this is not a new hard drive, cant hear the spin up tho, its completely silent since I bought it, I think, well something happened..
yesteday, my computer was freezing, I shut down my computer and then I waited for like 5 mins, and Then the freezing was gone.. the next day, I noticed that the hard drive is not showing up, I searched for solutions, and most of them was to go to the disk management thingie and my HDD dosent appear in the disk management and in the BIOS.. and there were no unusual sounds or noises I think.... Im just gonna try it with a different computer or try a different SATA cable..

Thanks in advance :D

I hope you haven't lost any valuable data. When you get issues like freezing or anything at all, related to a hard drive, it's always best to backup everything ASAP, just to be on the safe side. Of course, it's even better if you keep regular backups of your important data so that you don't have to worry about it in cases like this one.
I hope that it turns out to be a faulty cable or a port, otherwise proceed with the warranty check and the RMA (it the drive is still under warranty).

Fingers crossed!

Aladeen24

Reputable
Dec 7, 2015

Thanks man!!
probably most of the files in that hard drive are games tho,,
I mean, All of the files are games..
also, I've noticed that seagate hard drives only have a max temp of 60C
and mine reached like 53C.. probably one of the reasons why its not working,,
but I'll try the cable thingie.. good luck to me!
and thanks again!

Aladeen24

Reputable
Dec 7, 2015

well seems like changing the cables worked..
but somehow its still freezing and then I restarted the computer,
Its not there anymore, Whenever I change cables, The Hard Drive is there
But it sometimes it will freeze,
I think its broken,, Im just gonna buy a new one :D,, if it can be fixed, please tell me

Well, sorry the glimpse of hope was so brief. It does sound like the best option for you in this case would be to get a new drive. It's better to be safe than sorry. :)
Just for future reference, make sure to have all of your important data backed up, so that you don't have to face the horror of losing irreplaceable personal files like photos, videos, projects etc. It would be a lot better to have an extra drive and have an extra copy of your important stuff on it, rather than to have to go for a data recovery company at some point.

Cheers! :)