Hard drive not showing up on the BIOS!

MurderousMincePie

Honorable
Mar 29, 2013
My new secondary hard drive won't show up in the BIOS boot devices when i try edit them. I've tried Resetting the BIOS to default settings and Plugging the SATA data cable in different sockets but I'm not sure if the hard drive is dead or not because I cannot test it. Any ideas?

Solution

Okay I've sorted out the Hard drive...by throwing it in a bin the thing was completely broken it wouldn't even start up. So instead I went down to my local store with £60 and got myself a 2TB hard drive! I'm very pleased with it so far there is lots and lots of space! It's a big transition my old drive was only 226GB's!
Is it only in the BOOT menu that it's not showing up or does it not appear in the BIOS setup program? What happens in Windows - is it visible in the Disk Management console (right click Computer --> Manage)?

If it's a no to every question above, it's likely a bad HDD. Testing it in a different machine can help you be sure of this.

MurderousMincePie

Honorable
Mar 29, 2013

Hmm I'm not sure in hard disk management
there is a sort of hard drive there with no name or file system just a simple layout basic type and a status of healthy (recovery partition)? Is that it?

Is that drive on a separate line in disk management from the other drive or is it on the same line as the other drive? What I'm asking is if what you see is a partition? I only ask because you had recovery partition in ( ) so I wasn't sure if you were asking or stating that it is a recovery partition. Does it show the size of the drive or partition?

MurderousMincePie

Honorable
Mar 29, 2013

Okay I've sorted out the Hard drive...by throwing it in a bin the thing was completely broken it wouldn't even start up. So instead I went down to my local store with £60 and got myself a 2TB hard drive! I'm very pleased with it so far there is lots and lots of space! It's a big transition my old drive was only 226GB's!

Solution

PeculiarBanana

Reputable
Sep 11, 2014

But how do you fix it? I have the same problem with my baracuda hard drive i got oit of a dell computer, the computer booted up fine and when i restarted it, neither my hard drive or disk drive showed up on my boot option yet om the board explorer, it recognizes it

Vinny_9

Prominent
Mar 11, 2017

hey i have the exact same problem did you ever get a solution to your problem?