Question Hard Drive Not Usable After SSD Install

May 20, 2023
After installing a 1 TB M.2 SSD my 2 TB hard drive no longer shows up anywhere. Because it asked me to input a bootable drive I decided to put windows on the SSD with a thumb drive, which I planned to do sooner or later anyways. Now that I'm in Windows, I open Disk Management and see the drive but now with only 100 MB capacity. When I right click on it in an attempt to format, all the options are greyed out and I cannot click on aything but the 'Help' button. How can I format this drive so that it is once again usable?

The 2 TB hard drive should have simply booted up windows, but instead it disappeared. I fastened a couple of wires when installing the SSD so it's possible that it got slightly disconnected I guess, but I've ensured that the hard drive is connected properly now.

After installing a 1 TB M.2 SSD my 2 TB hard drive no longer shows up anywhere. Because it asked me to input a bootable drive I decided to put windows on the SSD with a thumb drive, which I planned to do sooner or later anyways. Now that I'm in Windows, I open Disk Management and see the drive but now with only 100 MB capacity. When I right click on it in an attempt to format, all the options are greyed out and I cannot click on aything but the 'Help' button. How can I format this drive so that it is once again usable?

The 2 TB hard drive should have simply booted up windows, but instead it disappeared. I fastened a couple of wires when installing the SSD so it's possible that it got slightly disconnected I guess, but I've ensured that the hard drive is connected properly now.
Check MB manual, in some cases M.2 drive and one or 2 SATA ports are mutually exclusive.