[SOLVED] Hard drive not working after smoking pc.

Dec 26, 2019
Hi all,
Recently when putting in a new psu into my computer, my SATA cable started smoking when turning the pc on. I fixed this by replacing the SATA cable, but now I can’t boot my computer. It automatically opens to a screen that says map not found. When I fo into bios i put my hard drive as the first boot priority, but no luck. I’ve tried switching the SATA cable, ports and I even put the hard drive into another computer, in which it also couldn’t find a hard drive. Is the hard drive broken? Or did I overlook something, thanks in advance.

Solution
Oh - this is bad, with like capital "B" for bad.

The sata cable is not ment for carrying any current beside the small data transfer signal, and if such a cable is in a short circuit, it also means that the motherboard, the attached storage device (probably both) is fried beyond repair.
Hi all,
Recently when putting in a new psu into my computer, my SATA cable started smoking when turning the pc on. I fixed this by replacing the SATA cable, but now I can’t boot my computer. It automatically opens to a screen that says map not found. When I fo into bios i put my hard drive as the first boot priority, but no luck. I’ve tried switching the SATA cable, ports and I even put the hard drive into another computer, in which it also couldn’t find a hard drive. Is the hard drive broken? Or did I overlook something, thanks in advance.
All electronics work on smoke, once it's gone it works no more.

Reactions: norcalsc
Oh - this is bad, with like capital "B" for bad.

The sata cable is not ment for carrying any current beside the small data transfer signal, and if such a cable is in a short circuit, it also means that the motherboard, the attached storage device (probably both) is fried beyond repair.

Solution