Hard drive not working?

WTHaPenguin

Reputable
Jul 18, 2014
hey guys, i recently put together a computer for the first time. It runs great, but there is just one problem. my hard drive isnt working. I have a 3 terrabyte WD caviar blue, and my computer doesnt even recognize it, it seems. I have my boot and everything else on my 128 gb crucial ssd that is starting to fill up.

I tried swapping the sata cable to see if that was not working, and nothing happened. In fact, I swapped the sata cables with the cd drive and the hdd, and the cd drive worked with both sata cables.

I also tried swapping the little cable input thing on the hdd... Its the cable with 3-4 different things that supply power. I have it in tandem with the SSD, so i know the cable works because the ssd always runs. I tried moving it up or down an input? (idk what theyre called) and nothing worked, it still does not recognize my HDD.

What can i do? i really need the space and i only want the essentials on my SSD.

If you have any other questions, let me know. if knowing the rest of my build also helps you, just ask. Thanks guys/gals

*UPDATE*
i just realized i do not have a WD caviar. Instead i have a Seagate Barracuda 3TB 7200rpm

Solution

Doesn't matter, it's Seagate's product, they're actually the ones that provide the warranty. As long as you provide proof of purchase (a copy of your NCIX invoice), they'll take care of you since they do want satisfied customers

WTHaPenguin

Reputable
Jul 18, 2014

i doubt that i will be able to RMA. I bought it two months ago, and im barely addressing the problem now because i actually had a DOA motherboard that took the company 6 weeks to return it to me...

can stores like geek squad or Tiger direct fix my hdd? if there is a hardware issue with it or something?

anyways, ill make sure to contact customer support anyways

Doesn't matter, it's Seagate's product, they're actually the ones that provide the warranty. As long as you provide proof of purchase (a copy of your NCIX invoice), they'll take care of you since they do want satisfied customers

Solution