Hard Drive OS + New Build

M0dar

Commendable
Aug 8, 2016
So, I am thinking about getting a new pc build and I have a 1tb hard drive with windows 10 installed, I am upgrading a new cpu, gpu, motherboard, case, power supply, I am keeping the HD and ram. If I were to put the new PC together and put in my old hard drive, would it work normally with windows installed? Or do I have to purchase a new hard drive and a new copy of windows? I do not want to spend more money on a hard drive and windows. Any solutions?

It may work, it may not, you would just have to try it. Even if it does boot, you might still have performance issues. If it's not a retail version of Windows, you might need to buy a new license anyway because it won't activate. You can certainly re use the old drive and reinstall Windows to it if it doesn't boot.

M0dar

Commendable
Aug 8, 2016

I heard that problems can be caused by testing out a completely new system with the same hard drive that you want use that has windows installed. I need a method to build a new system and not spend more $$ on windows because I just got the perfect price point for myself on my system. I do not have my old copy of windows key and disc.

TRENDING THREADS