Question Hard drive partition turned into storage pool. No file system format, doesn't show up anywhere except Disk Management

Apr 17, 2020
So I have a 2.5 Inch 60GB (Hitachi) hard drive from June 2008 that I was planning on putting some data on for a couple hours while I reset windows. I also backed up the data to a cloud and nothing actually uploaded when I checked. The hard drive was working fine until I plugged it back in to get my data back off. All I can assume has happened is that the partition is corrupted or something. The drive had one NTFS partition and I probably put about 30GB of data on it. I have it inside a hard drive enclosure that is known good connected to my computer via USB. The drive only shows up in Disk Management. It has no letter and the part where the partitions shows up just shows "Storage pool". When I right click on it ALL options are greyed out except for Help. Cant format, add drive letter or anything. I don't care about the drive itself however I do care about my data on it. Is there any way I can get it back without paying for some dodgy recovery software?

TLDR: I put some data on a hard drive and it's partition shows up as Storage Pool, Nothing else displays the drive. I will do whatever it takes to get my data back even if it ruins the drive.

EDIT: I just noticed, in disk management, next to where it says Healthy, there is this next to it: (Storage Spaces Protective Partition)

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2020
if in storage space, check storage spaces?

and how did you put data on the hard drive?

It shows up, Saying : Error Unrecognised configuration; reset drive

If I reset it will it wipe all my data?

And how I put the data no there: It wasn't acting up so I just put it into my external hard drive enclosure, connected it to my PC, formatted it, dragged everything I wanted to put on it into the drive then I ejected and unplugged it.