[SOLVED] Hard Drive partition

Jul 23, 2020
Hello Guys,

I was wondering if I can get some expert advice

If I partition my SSD 500GB Hard Drive into 2 partitions for C Drive and for D Drive, on the D Drive partition, if I fill it up, is this
going to slow down my C Drive, or is the D Drive considered as a separate partition from C Drive?

Kind Regards
Gayan@1984

Solution
If you partition an SSD, regardless of what brand, capacity or model it is, you're only inviting death to the unit...or rather a degradation of performance. One SSD, one partition is the thumb rule!

USAFRet

Titan
Hello Guys,

I was wondering if I can get some expert advice

If I partition my SSD 500GB Hard Drive into 2 partitions for C Drive and for D Drive, on the D Drive partition, if I fill it up, is this
going to slow down my C Drive, or is the D Drive considered as a separate partition from C Drive?

Kind Regards
Gayan@1984
A spinning drive?
No, filling up the second partition does not "slow down" the other partition.
Each partition will have its own drive letter...C and D.

On a spinning drive, partitions are physical locations. Outer portion, inner portion, etc.
Accessing data on the outer portions is indeed faster than from the inner...linear speed of the platter past the head is a lot faster on the outside vs the inside.

On an SSD, partitions are merely logical representations. What the software shows you. Where the data actually resides is up to the drive firmware.
There is little use in partitioning a solid state drive.
However, it will not kill it, as mentioned above...;)